Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No license was available for user "DOMAIN\USER" using SMBServer 4.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2000
US
I have a client that is receiving this error message in their event log. It is causing problems with accessing the network shared drive on the server. They are running Windows NT 4.0 Server with Service Pack 5. Any ideas? [sig][/sig]

They are using per server licenses and I attempted to add 5 more per seat licenses to the server to solve login problems. I am adding the licenses incorrectly? [sig][/sig]

I don't think you can mix per server and per seat licenses. I would try increasing the number of licenses on your server (Control Panel > Licensing) and see if this helps. Also check and make sure that when you tried to add the per seat licenses before, you didn't switch the type of licensing over to per seat. [sig][/sig]

I am getting the same problem with an NT Server I am running.

When I click on the license applet in the control panel, it comes up with the following error:

Not available in the NFR (Not For Resale edition)

It doesn't seem to matter how the license manager is configured, clients still seem to get the following error:

No license was available for user DOMAIN\<domainuser> using product SMBServer 4.0.

Can someone help?

I am going to have to rebuild this, if this doesn't work.

I found that if you use a NFR copy of NT Server you receive this error message. The only way to correct this is to either disable the license manager in the services or reinstall with the correct version of NT server.

We had the same message appear on our PDC. Found a solution in the MS Knowledge Base with article Q214844. Give it a look. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back