Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No LAST function 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beansoup

Programmer
Feb 29, 2004
US
I have a table as such:
id, apartment, date, description, amount

I'd like to query it as follows:

select apartment, sum(amount) as balance, max(date), last(description)
from mytable
group by apartment

Of course there is no "last" function. I'm after a list of current balances by apartment showing the last transaction date and description.

Any suggestions?

Assuming ids always increase (so the highest date has the highest id), you can use something along these lines:
Code:
SELECT
  t.apartment
, x.balance
, x.latest_date
, t.description
FROM (  
  SELECT 
    apartment
  , sum(amount) balance
  , max(date) latest_date
  , max(id) latest_id
  FROM tbl
  GROUP BY
    apartment
) x 
JOIN tbl t ON t.id = x.latest_id
There is probably a tidier way to express the same using a Common Table Expression (CTE) but it's too early in the morning for me.

If the id does not always increase but the dates are unique within apartment, you can use the date as the JOIN column.

what will be if a transaction from a prior date was entered after a transaction of a later date

Try

Code:
select apartment,  balance, mdate, description
from mytable
inner join (Select apartment  max(date) mdate ,sum(amount),balance
            From mytable
            Group by apartment )maxdate
on maxdate.apartment =mytable.apartment 
And maxdate.mdate=mytable.date

I find (with slight modification to Pwise's solution) that both work, but Pwise's solution gives me more than one result per apartment if there is more than one transaction on the latest date (which there sometimes is).

Anyway, thanks to both of you - I imagine this is "child's play" to both of you, but it's "magic" to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back