Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Keyboard Once NT Server Starts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdaino

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
Keyboard works fine during startup - but once the logon screen appears, keyboard function is lost. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'd try another keyboard, or try using Last Known Good configuration for a start... [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Thanks, but no luck with either. Recently ran several windowsupdate items (critical updates for security and the like). Now, no way to get past the logon screen. ANY other ideas?? Quite a frustration.

I ran into the same issue. The issue seemd to be related to an older Dos based application and one of the Updates from Microsoft. To solve the issue I had to run setup and create an ERD after each reboot as I was installing software. Between having the ERD and updating the application in question. The problem went away

What a coincidence... just had that problem.

Configured a computer in my office and everything was fine.
Took the computer to the users office, put it together everything was fine. I was able to get into all the programs.

The only difference from your story is, I downloaded a security patch from MS. After I booted, the keyboard and mouse were gone. They worked in DOS, but when NT loaded they stop. Tried different keyboards and mice... still didnt work.

Had to reinstalled...

Others are having this problem. Looked at the event log (from another PC). Anyone understand any of these errors?

Here are the lines from the event file:

9/26/02 7:49:48 AM W3SVC Warning None 100 N/A CCIS01 The server was unable to logon the Windows NT account 'IUSR_CCIS01' due to the following error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. The data is the error code.

9/26/02 7:48:10 AM Service Control Manager Error None 7026 N/A CCIS01 The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Kbdclass
msi8042

9/26/02 7:44:24 AM BROWSER Information None 8015 N/A CCIS01 The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_El90x1 because a Windows NT Server (or domain master) browser is started.

9/26/02 7:44:24 AM BROWSER Information None 8015 N/A CCIS01 The browser has forced an election on network \Device\Nbf_El90x1 because a Windows NT Server (or domain master) browser is started.

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM Kbdclass Error None 7 N/A CCIS01 Could not locate the device object for one or more keyboard port devices.

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM msi8042 Error None 4 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 4 ) in Source ( msi8042 ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): .

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM msi8042 Error None 22 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 22 ) in Source ( msi8042 ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): , MPS 1.4 - APIC platform, .Translated.

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM msi8042 Error None 22 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 22 ) in Source ( msi8042 ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): , msi8042, \Device\KeyboardPort0.Translated.

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM msbusmou Warning None 26 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 26 ) in Source ( msbusmou ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): .

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM msinport Warning None 26 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 26 ) in Source ( msinport ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): .

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM mssermou Error None 4 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 4 ) in Source ( mssermou ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): \Device\PointerPort1.

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM mssermou Error None 24 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 24 ) in Source ( mssermou ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): , Sermouse, \Device\PointerPort0.Translated.

9/26/02 7:43:11 AM EventLog Information None 6005 N/A CCIS01 The Event log service was started.

9/26/02 7:43:11 AM EventLog Information None 6009 N/A CCIS01 Microsoft (R) Windows NT (R) 4.0 1381 Service Pack 6 Multiprocessor Free.

9/26/02 7:43:11 AM EventLog Error None 6008 N/A CCIS01 The previous system shutdown at 7:36:42 AM on 9/26/02 was unexpected.

9/26/02 7:43:26 AM mssermou Error None 24 N/A CCIS01 The description for Event ID ( 24 ) in Source ( mssermou ) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s): , mssermou, \Device\PointerPort1.Translated.

I understand most of them.

mssermou will be "Microsoft Serial Mouse"
msinport will be "Microsoft InPort Mouse" (very old mouse type)
msbusmou I am not so sure about - although at a guess it's another mouse type.
msi usually refers to "Microsoft Installer".. security fix not being applied properly perhaps? *shrug*

Have you checked MS's web site for this problem? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

Nothing found at microsoft yet. finally reinstalled, but am avoiding the latest critical updates until I know better what caused this problem . . .

Thanks for all the help so far. Good luck to all.

Hi Folks!

Just stepped into this problem on an old nt 4 server. I wanted to give him the latest Microsoft goodies and after reboot ayk - nada.
Well, here's what I did:
As could easily been checked the machine still was connected to lan but as no user was logged on, no remote access tool worked. To come around this I created a share using

net use \\remote_machine_name\IPC$ /user:Admin *

and voilà, got on it remote.

As the remote event log showed, simply the keyboard and mouse port stopped working. Only Microsoft knows, why...
I started regedit and connected to the remote registry.

Look for

Hkey_Local_Machine on Remote_Computer_Name
and navigate to the following key:

System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt

Change Start:REG_DWORD:0x4 value to 0x1.

Leave Regedit and reboot the machine in trouble - it worked for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back