Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no interternet connection! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissH

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
SE
I really need someone to help me out!
My modem works just fine, it connects properly.
BUT... I can´t get no connection to the internet, only the message "The page cannot be displayed" etc (and yes, I have typed the address correctly, and yes, I have tried to update the page...)

I´m not using a proxy server, and my PC knows that.
I have checked winsock-files (because the Windows trouble shooter told me to do so), and all *.dll´s, and *.vxd's are, as far as I understand, OK.

I´m using Win 98, and IE5.0. Can somebody help me with this, or should I go bananas?

Can you get to other web sites or is only site a problem?

(It´s difficult to spell Internet)...

I cant get no sites at all!

Can you ping the websites from a command prompt? If so, did you ever install AOL? AOL during its install will attempt to make itself the default program for the "internet and email". If you say yes to the prompt during an install, the only way around it is to uninstall the application and it's network adapters.

If you never installed AOL and you CAN ping any website, try doing a repair on IE from add/remove programs.

It's a command, usually dos-based (though you can get pretty front-ends in windows) that sends a 'package' of information out to another computer on a network or the internet. It measures the time it takes to reply, if a reply comes back, and can tell you therefore whether you can get any further than your modem or ISP into the internet.

Do you have any "speed surfing" programs like Netsonic installed? Look for a HOSTS file (no extension) in your windows folder. If it's there delete or rename it and then see if you can surf. You should find a Hosts.sam file but that's not the one I mean. Just HOSTS with no extension.

Have you seen this:

Thanks all of you who wanted to help me! I have solved the problems. I have learned that the application NewDotNet causes these kinds of probs, but after removal, everything was OK. (I don´t how how that application got in to my PC in the first place, or what it was good for, but that is another question).
Thanks once again, and greetings from Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back