Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No internet + No LAN icon + No device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMerlotti

Technical User
Aug 6, 2005
GB
This is a complete mystery and any help would be appreciated. I cannot get a PC to connect to the internet - plus device manager is completely empty and there is no sign of the Local Area Connection.

I can see (and connect to the PC) in the workgroup and open the router settings in IE from this PC.

No firewall is installed. Plug and Play services is started. I have run a full virus check using AVG, run Ewido and Spybot and they have picked up nothing. I've checked the forums and run apropsfix + no unknown programs appear in add/remove programs.

I don't have a lot of history for this PC - I know its running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Something sounds corrupted, I would try this:

System File Checker:

To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

If that fails, reinstall XP SP2.

Erik

Try some of the suggestions mentioned here, some you may have already done, see what else you can try.

"My Computer" takes a full minute to open
thread779-1157000

Icons in Network Connections diappeared
thread779-1035557

I've run sfc /scannow - no errors reported. Have tried most of the fixes suggested on the links from linney and tried restoring Windows back to a point before this occured.

My next problem is - this is not a branded PC and without device manager I can't establish the hardware manufacturers to reload the drivers if I re-install Windows.

Can you get to it from here:

Run "devmgmt.msc" or "compmgmt.msc"

Have you tried this:

Run "mmc", File --> Add/Remove Snap-In, Add, select Device Manager and add it.

Can you get to it from Safe MOde?

Device manager is still empty if added to the MMC - and still empty in safe mode.

Sounds like a Virus, to me. try first, for their free online scanner.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Thanks for the Belarc Advisor tip - I'll give it a try.

As for the trendmicro scan - how do I get the internet connection to get to the site?

You could look at the Winsock fix mentioned here.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Have you checked out the Event Viewer?

254631 - Some Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons May Be Missing

329050 - Troubleshooting Missing Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons

With so much other trouble going on too a reformat and clean install may be the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back