Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Internet/Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultimatebc

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2004
US
I have a computer that works but it cannot see my home network or the internet. DHCP is running from a wireless router and all other computers work fine from 98se, Me, 2000 and XP. No NIC get an IP address and if I manually install and IP, still cannot see the network. Have scanned the computer for virus's alone and on another system with Norton and housecall.trendmicro.com. Cleaned up with Ad-aware and Spybot 1.3 without changing results.

Any ideas before reinstalling XP???

Firewall? You can always turn it off real quick to see if thats the problem.

No firewalls on computer. Should have mentioned this and I have not been able to use the downloaded SP2 file because most of the time it gives me a corrupt error message. Hoped that this would reinstall most key network files and than I would turn off the firewall. BUT could not install...

Do you get any error messages in the Event Viewer about IP problems?

Have you removed and re-installed the card and drivers for it? If this is a new card, have you tried to test it in one of your working systems to verify that the card itself isn't shot?

Hrm...what else to start with? How is your home network setup? Do you have a server or are you allowing the wireless router to play DHCP and assign IP's? If it's the latter, is there a limit, on the router, as to how many IP's it can support?

Also, check the wireless router, make certain you don't have someone on there that you don't want that could be causing trouble.

Lastly, try this
That is a walk through on how to reset the IP stack in XP, if you're system seems like it's having trouble obtaining an IP that may assist you.

Take a look at the "Other Steps" sections of "What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?" faq779-5240

It gives two fixes that may help in this situation.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back