Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Internet mails, only internal mails are working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2002
LK
Hi
I recently installed Exchange server 5.5 on a Windows 2000 Advance server and during initial tests it worked fine. Later I tried to configure Active Directory connector on it but couldn’t complete it properly and removed it.
However later I found that e-mails are circulating within the domain recipients only. E mails sent to out of the domain (eg.yahoo mail addresses) are rejected, and also those mails send to our server recipients from external domains have also been returned.
Appreciate if anybody can assist me to solve this problem. (Does the problem is at Internet Mail service or Message transfer Agent...?)

Thnks & Rgds,
Chandrakalum

Not sure but check if you have Your routing tab has no configuation in it. In my case it is disabled

I believe you need to change the LDAP port on the Exchange 5.5 server when it resides on a 2000 server for one. 2000 uses 389 for queries against the GC.

What do the non-delivery reports say? Please paste one in here (one from your users, and one from the external people too if possible). Don't leave any part of it out - often there are clues in the parts people edit out.

Hi
Thanks for your prompt responses......
Chaupa
When I installing ADC I changed LDAP port to 391 but since ADC didn't work properly I removed it and changed back the LDAP port to 389.

sincgib
As you mentioned, herewith I have pasted two returned mails. See, you can help me in this regard.
This is the response I got when trying to send a mail to a yahoo acount.

Your message

To: chandraklm@yahoo.com
Subject: test
Sent: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:01:10 +0600

did not reach the following recipient(s):

chandraklm@yahoo.com on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:03:47 +0600
Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
;p=SLEDB;l=SERVER10203250601HTQMPD20
MSEXCH:IMS:SLEDB:TRADEWORLD:SERVER1 3902 (000B099C) Host Unknown

here is the returned mail I recieved when tried from a yahoo account to sent to my internal mail account.
Your message

To: hdp@tradeworld.lk
Subject: test
Sent: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:54:07 +0600

did not reach the following recipient(s):

hdp@server1.tradeworld.lk on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:53:46 +0600
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
;p=SLEDB;l=SERVER10203250853HTQMPDJ4
MSEXCH:IMS:SLEDB:TRADEWORLD:SERVER1 0 (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

In the inbound example, where did the "server1" part come from? Is there a firewall or some other smtp server before a message gets to Exchange? Try addind a second smtp address to hdp's mailbox to match that, and send a message to hdp@tradeworld.lk. See if you get it.

For the outbound - hard to tell. Enable smtp protocol logging to maximum(IMS-Diag. Logging - writes logs to imcdata\log - if you have any in there, move them out first). You have to stop and start IMS to take effect.
Send out some messages, and look at the log(s), you might get more clues that way.

A few things. First of all, are the DNS MX records pointing to your exchange server? try nslookup mail.yourdomain.com, make sure the ip matches your exchange server ip. Check DNS settings on your exchange server, it must be configured manually even if you're using DHCP. if behind firewall query ports 25 and 110 with telnet session from external ip address to verify connection is possible. check event viewer for errors. check IMS config.

I don't want to interrupt the process. The ADC was installed on a 2000 DC?
Have you ever had Exchange 5.5 working and the IMC was or is configured correctly.
All this to go along with N0ktar questions.

Yeah, I had a similar issue when my MX DNS record got scrambled.

I'm having a similar problem, but it seems that [user]@excite.com are the recipients that our exchange server is sending back undeliverable. This is the response I get from the exchange server:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Sandew@excite.com' on 4/3/2002 9:26
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Texas Commission;l=TCBSERVER3-020403152538Z-24654

If I open my yahoo account via intenet explorer, I am able to send the message to this recipient. Please HELP!

Considering someone is interested, Excite turned off their reverse DNS setting which resolved our issue.

i am also facing the same problem... i tried to configure outlook express to connect to my exchange server... i can send and receive mails internally... however i can only receive mail from external e-mails but unable to send out to external mails... can someone tell me why this is so?

Hi Friends,
Thanks everybody for all your comments and suggestions.
I could manage to solve the problem with all those comments.
I will note down my solution as it would be benificial for others.
My Internet mail problem was occured due to misconfiguration in DNS MX record. Once it is corrected internet mail works fine.
the addresses with additional part, (server1.domain.com)
was rejected as I have not add extra smtp address for each and every account. Once it is added that problem was also solved.

I too have a similar problem. Although not all my users have this problem. They can use OWA and send/receive both internal and extrernal. When they use Outlook as a pop3 account, they get NDR to external address. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back