Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No internet connectivity with wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilihp

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Win XP SP3 Dell, Pentium 3, Netgear router and Netgear wireless card.

This old Dell has been working perfectly well on my own wireless network until I 'dared' to try to connect to another network. Now the original wireless network always displays "limited or no connectivity". There is no problem using a direct LAN connection to the router.
Have tried repairing the conection and deleting/re-detecting the network to no avail. System is configured for windows to manage connection rather than Netgear.
IP address and DNS servers are set to auto detect. My server has a fixed IP address.Have performed several system restores - no change. Signal strength is strong and other available networks have weak signals.I am using wep security. Other wirelessly connected PCs on my network work perfectly well.
Any ideas? - am at my wits end!

What happened when you 'dared' to try a different network? Did it connect and work ok?

Can you try the Netgear wireless card in another machine to establish that the card is working ok?

How about trying the Netgear software to see what that does?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

G0AOZ - thanks for reply. I managed to find a cure by logging into the router and disabling the wep security. The Dell then connected without difficulty. Then I put back the same wep security and the Dell continued to work after negotiating the security. All has been well for several weeks and there is no more trouble!
Perhaps this experience will help others with a similar difficulty.
Philip (G4WNM)

Philip, glad you've solved it!

I'm often amazed at the number of radio hams using Tek-Tips - s'pose I shouldn't be really. After all, it's a very popular hobby!

ROGER - G0AOZ. (AX25 on 144.950 and 80m ssb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back