Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No internet connection....very strange situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosquicklier

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
I have a very, very strange situation here. I have 3 computers on a LAN with a cable connection and one of them does not have an internet connection. Just before the internet connection stopped working, I removed some spyware/adware with Spybot. I saw a problem similair to mine in an old thread on this site, and I did everything relevant to my situation. I used the newest Winsock Fix that I could find (it was in the old thread), and this actually solved my problem, or so I thought. The internet worked fine for a few minutes. I did not use any other programs besides Trillian and IE, and all of a sudden, the internet went dead again and I was disconnected. Before I applied the Winsock fix, I restored some of the spyware I removed. Also, after the internet failed (this being after I applied the fix and it worked temporarily), I deleted this spyware. Following that, I have applied the fix a few more times with no luck. The address of the old thread is below. Some more background information: just like in the old thread, my ip changed from 192.168.0.100 to 169.254.173.70. The message I get when I run ipconfig:
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS suffix . :
Autoconfiguration Ip Address . . : 169.254.173.70
Subnet mask. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State. . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Somebody please help.

I have done some testing and I have come to think that the fix worked because there is some program (maybe running in the background) that disrupts the TCP/IP settings that the fix just corrected back to their original, nonoperational state.

I think this because I have had success getting it to work on several occasions for up to a few minutes (most have been under 1 minute though). The connection just dies like it did in the past, and I restart the computer and basically run the internet programs before the "settings disrupter" puts the settings back to nonoperational.

Anytime you get 169.254.52.103 as your IP (if you haven't tinkered with your registry) it is becuase windows thinks your media actually was disconnected.

If I were you, I would absolutely remove all spyware, then boot up in safe mode, goto Network Connections (this is XP or 2K right?), then goto properties on the one that is your NIC, under the "This connection uses the following items" windows, uninstall everything there. close it out, then goto the device manager, remove everything under NETWORK ADAPTERS. reboot, let it install the stuff over again, and you should be back in business. If you still get disconnect errors after that, it could very well be a driver issue with your NIC. Your last option is to download the manufacturers driver for your NIC (for example, if your card is a realtek you can goto and grab the latest drivers there instead of using the built in ones from microsoft).
If that doesn't work, its time to buy a new NIC.

roadrun777,

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. I got a little bit worried after everything didn't work until I got to the last step. I have a Dell and I downloaded the drivers like you said and it works!!! Thanks again!

I have yet another problem. This time it is even weirder than before. On the same computer that I fixed the internet problem on, the internet alone isn't working. I am able to sign on to AIM, MSN chat, Yahoo chat, ICQ, as well as IRC. I am even able to download things on IRC. Anyway, the trouble comes when I try to browse the internet. I am not able to access any web pages. Has anybody ever seen this problem/know any solutions?

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. The first command is the one most likely to work.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

I had the problem solved on another thread. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back