Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no internal modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianc3eee

Technical User
Jul 22, 2006
GB
Hi, a friend has just got a new pc and will have to wait 2-3 weeks before he gets his broadband connection..the new pc has no internal modem..how can he connect to the internet while waiting (without opening up the pc)?

If the PC has USB and wireless nearby USB wireless card.
If they have wireless nearby and ethernet and no USB then a wireless bridge.

If no nearby wireless, USB modem or if they have serial ports serial modem.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

have speedtouch modem (adsl) to give him but will that work..thx 4 help

No, the Thomson Speedtouch ADSL (USB) modem is only suitable for ADSL.

What you need for a temporary connection to the phone line is a 56K dialup modem. These can still be obtained in a variety of flavours. If the PC has a serial port (unlikely), then a basic external modem cabled to this port should work fine. There are also 56K modems on PCMCIA cards if this is a laptop which has a suitable slot. USB dialup modems are also obtainable, but I have never actually used one myself.

Whatever you buy as a temporary measure, make sure it has drivers suitable for the operating system on that PC.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks..so it seems like i,m looking for a usb 56k dial up modem...maybe ebay.

Appreciate help but its ebay uk for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back