Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no incoming faxes on fax machine through RJ11 at walljack

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobis

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
I have Comcast Digital Cable and i am using Voip, my computer upstairs is connected to the cable modem and is backfed to the other phone lines in my house. My new fax machine in the Office in my basement will send faxes but not receive them, it is a Ricoh GX3000sf Model. I am using a filter between the fax machine and the RJ11 walljack. i can send and receive faxes with my old Brother fax machine on the same RJ11 wall outlet. Any help would be appreciated.

May be obvious, but have you set the Fax to Auto Answer?
If so after how many rings?
If they are set, what happens if you ring the number, do you get fax tone?

It's amazing how many people overlook these settings.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Yes it's set to Auto Answer and you don't get the fax tone which makes me believe it's something with the signal, maybe it needs to be boosted for the fax to pick it up. Since it's backfed throughout the house to the Telephone lines. What do You think?

If another fax machine works, the answer is obvious. It has to be a setting on the new machine. There wouldn't be nearly enough loss on the few feet of cable in your house to cause an issue. (I don't see why you need an ADSL filter when you're using cable though...)

-----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back