Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No IE browsing from Windows 2003 SBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRS46

Technical User
Aug 4, 2005
US
Everything seems to be working just fine. My SBS server is the primary DNS. Yesterday, the ability to browse the internet (and download some tools)from the server itself went bye-bye. The desktops are all fine. They are accessing services on the server and the internet just fine. The server is the primary DNS for the desktops. DNS has fowarders enabled.

I'm sure I am not the only one who has touched this machine, but no one is fessing up to making changes.

I can't find anything that changed.

Any ideas?

Larry S.
Systems & Network Consultant

If you want to determin if it is a DNS issue versus an IE issue try browsing a website via IP address. If you can browse by IP then it most likely is a DNS problem. I havn't dealt with SBS ever so i am not exactly sure what is different about it other than it has exchange bundled. Does it have ISA included also? If you can't browse by IP then you most likely have some sort of firewall issue.

Jeremy Giacobbe
MCSE, CCNA

Is this SBS Standard or Premium?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the responses. It was a DNS issue but I am not sure how it cleared up. Especially since I didn't do anything at all to make it stop working or start working.

But, I did have SBC redo the DHCP pool on the managed router this morning. The next time I walked over to the server room, viola, it came right up.

I think there is an issue with SBS and additional DNS services such as the SBC services. I really thought I liked the idea of an all-in-one server but not in an existing network. Save SBS for those first-time clients.

Most of the documentation on issues I have had with this server don't apply because the implementation is different and many of the options are different or don't exist.

Larry S.
Systems & Network Consultant

How do you have the DNS configured?

On the SBS NIC, it should only list its own IP for DNS. In the DNS snap-in on the forwarders tab it should list the ISP DNS.

DHCP should only privide the SBS servers IP.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back