Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No i/c email after migration from 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglebowski

Technical User
Jan 29, 2004
GB
I upgraded to sbs 2008 from 2003 3 days ago and now we are not receiving any external email (internal & outgoing is ok).

So far I've tried:

1. testing with mxtoolbox.com -fail
2. check mx & a records- all point to our ip
3. using shieldsup to check that 25 is open on the server -yes
4. running wireshark on sbs but no port 25 traffic is being rx'd

??????

weight.png

Not sure if it's connecting after running telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25 I get a black screen and then goes back to the prompt after 30 secs. Shouldn't I get the exchange name back or a welcome?

Strange thing is I could see 2 port 25 packets in ethereal from earlier.

weight.png

You need to make sure you have an outgoing and incoming connection setup. Its not real clear in the documentation that that is now required.

As opposed to just the SMTP server running.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

It sounds like you may have installed the SMTP service. That was used for inbound mail on Exchange 2003, but not on Exchange 2007. Make sure that the SMTP Service is NOT installed on the server. Exchange 2007 uses a different service to listen on port 25, and if you installed SMTP as part of IIS, you will break Exchange 2007. Once you uninstall SMTP, the Exchange Transport Service will be allowed to listen on port 25 again.

Also make sure that you have two receive connectors defined in the Server->Hub configuration area. They should have been set up by default when you ran the initial wizards.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Hmmm should have been installed by defaultis a very moot point.

You will also require a certificate. Not that that is real clear either.

Cheers
Scott

cheers for the answers and help the problem turned out to be the adsl. Changing from a zyxel modem to a netgear router seemed to change our static IP to dynamic. After a lot of calls to BT they reinstated our staic IP and emails are being rx'd. Just have to address why the VPN isn't working now... this sbs 2008 is a pain in the ****

weight.png

Its just different, now that I have done a migration, I reckon its much more sensible in its approach.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back