Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Hard Drives On Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheebster

Technical User
Nov 23, 2004
US
Athelon/Biostar M7MIA/Win 2000. This small server turned off due to a power failure. Upon restarting it posts then stops asking for a system disk. Entering the BIOS I find the hard drives not being recognized and I am unable to auto detect or manually configure either hard drive. I inserted the Win 2000 cd and went to repair and got a c: prompt. From the c: prompt I can see the directory information for the c drive leading me to think the drive is intact. Any ideas or suggestions as to the offending member?

Run the diagnostics found at the HD manuf's site to see if the HD's are functional.

Have you scanned the disk for boot record/file corruption or surface errors? If the HD will respond to that then at least you are part way there as if it can spin and read etc then its not totally trashed.

@cheebster - when HD's are not functioning, and you boot from a CD, this will give the CD the drive designation of C: ... thus you are misleading into thinking that it (the HD) might work...

Go into the BIOS, CMOS setup, there make sure that the recognition of the drives are correctly handled... set them to AUTO detect... then make sure that all cables (Power and IDE) are correctly inserted and properly functioning...

if there is still no go, take the HD and try it within another PC, to check for it's integrity... if this fails... then the PSU that went out, took the HD with it... ergo No Cream and Pie...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

One hopes that cheebster has resolved this issue in the 6 weeks since the thread was started...

Sorry I was so long in posting back. As Bigbadben indicated the culprit ended up being a damaged power supply. The hard drive had errors but I was able to repair and reformat it. Best regards to all.

hi, there,
I got similar problem, but greater,
it was 4 years old laptop
it was IBM 20 GB, the user told me that the system just suddenly off, and I tried the bios, no hard drive detected, I tried with my tools I have (fdisk, sfdisk, pqmaic6,diskman,lformatter1.1 and so on)
all tells me no hard drive found!

and I unplug the drive and try another one, which was found readily....
thanks
wenjun

"up to the brim."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back