Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No hard drive found, can't load OS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Using a new Asus P4PE board, an IDE hard drive and an EDI to Serial ATA adapter to connect the drive to the Serial ATA interface on the MB. I configured a single drive array but when the OS starts to load on the CDROM, it tells me there is no hard drive found!! Anyone do something like this before? Do you have suggestions? Should I just put the drive back on the regular IDE interface?? Thanks!
Steve

What OS are you installing? I am assuming 98 or ME? It sounds like this is a brand new hard drive?? Has it been FDISKed? There has to be a Primary DOS Partition installed on a new disk before it can be formated, before a DOS based OS can be installed on it.

I don't know if you are familiar with these operations or not, so let us know if you don't understand what I am talking about.

If it is 98/ME/XP (any version) it should pick up a brand new, unformatted disk during install AS LONG AS IT IS A FULL VERSION install disk. If you are using an upgrade disk it wont pick it up. Also, I am not aware of 98 or ME supporting Serial ATA, but I know that XP does. It has something to do with the 32-bit as opposed to the 64-bit structure of the OS itself.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.

Matt

Sorry, yes I understand it all (I started with a real honest to goodness Tandy TRS80 then upgraded to the IBM AT when it came out, how old am I). Sorry I didn't mention it before, I am trying to install a full version of XP Pro. So yes it should detect it and format it but it doesn't see it. The onboard ATA bios recognizes it tho because I have configured a bootable single drive array. Maybe I blew something!!!

Did you get a Serial ATA driver disk in your mobo box that came with the P4PE board? You may need to load additional drivers during install. There is an F6 option inside of the installer that allows you to specify special drivers for mass storage devices. You might need to do this, never worked with your board before, but that could be the prob.

Matt

You know? I really don't know. I will have to check..... Yes I know that option to load additional drivers.... I'll bet that's it. I will look at it when I get home... Oh the horror... Thanks... I'll let you know how it goes....

Just found this on the ASUS website and downloaded it. You were right mnamo999. You definately treat Serial ATA as any other third party controller that WinXP most likely doesn't have a driver for..... Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back