Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Function on any Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

moggy44

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
I have a machine which initially would not log on to broadband, I then found that control panel icons would not function and further investigation I found that most Icons on Desktop and Start menu programs, plus any floppy I put in drive "A" the icons had changed to a windows icon. Thought that maybe a Trojan horse or Worm but then someone told me that it sounded as though some of the dll files had been deleted.
Does this sound like a dead duck or can I recover the system. System Restore is also not functioning i.e icon changed.

Regards John.m

Interesting problem.

Usually System Restore will do the trick with iffy registry changes, and some damaged system files, I believe, but if this is definately unusable now, you have a couple more options I think...

If you have your XP Install CD, you can boot from it and try a repair installation.... this can sometimes work on it's own but is usually useless without an ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk)... IF you ever created one you could be OK... (I didn't :( )

If this fails, and as a last resort, perhaps you might reinstall WinXP. If you skip reformatting your hard disk, and just use the same Windows folder (as before) to install into, you will simply overwrite the existing (and faulty) XP OS. You will still have to reinstall all your applications, but basically your saved data ie. documents, mp3s etc will be left intact....

Hope this helps

Terry-Lee Blay
MCP, A+, Net+, Server+, APS, IBM Thinkpads/Portables

Have a look at this thread: thread621-692319

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

Ever feel like you're banging your head against a tree? I did, so I cut down the tree.

Tried XP Re-install but didn't work so put HD in second machine as a slave did a Virus scan and a Spyware scan but nothing showed up, so, removed My Documents and Outlook Express mail etc and did a low level format and did a clean install of XP and SP2 and seems to be fine, BUT, i will take a ghost image of drive so if does happen again its 20 mins to re-install. and not 6 hours.

Regards John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back