Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No free memory.. close programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello.

This problem is new and happens whenever I open microsoft accessm 2000. It says, there isn't enough free memory. Close some programs and then it freezes the windows. So, after that, the internet explorer becomes messed up with small letters etc..Is it something to do with the ram memory? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi. It might help if you'd state which OS you're using. It would also be helpful if you would tell us a little more about your system, such as installed RAM. Assuming the worst (windows 4.x) I'll try. There are two types of memory your system uses, physical and virtual. When a call is made for memory if there isn't enough free physical RAM the os is suppose to swap out what is in RAM to virtual ram, which is actuall space on your hard drive. Here's a couple possible solutions.
1. Right click on start, chose open programs start programs. See what is in there. Many of these, such as findfast are useless. Create another folder in programs and move them to that folder. Reboot and try.
2. Open My Computer and right click C:, choose properties. Your free disk space should at least equal your physical RAM, if not find some stuff to delete. Run scandisk then defrag. Even if you have enough free space if it's badly fragmented Windows will not attempt to write memory to disk to free up enough physical RAM.
Try this and post back since feedback is appreciated. Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

I had a user a while back with Access 98 creating a memory resource problem when they printed to a QMS printer. As I recall there were to fixes _ the firsty and most obvious was to print to one of our HP's The other was a crazy one we had to uninstall some of the users fonts because she had more than 600.

Hi!!
Well, i am still having that problem. My o/s is win 98 with 128 bit ram. I have enough hard disk space. I followed the steps provided below. i have deleted the temporary files, cleared history, deleted cookies, followed win 98 trouble shooting procedure... i still have the problem. Could anyone guess what's wrong with my computer?

Thank you.

i have it too, 64 mgs, win98se, 30gig hd,
-i think in my case its the virtual memory as its a just come up problem and system has only changed via new hds,
-and my machine/os wont boot if i set vm to =min/max and supposedly large enough per every tech i know

i dont have a solution, besides con alt del and closing all but explorer, sys tray and the program you want to use.

anyone else?
x-)

The information you are giving me sounds like that yes you are out of RAM memory and that you should go and buy more to put into your computer. But I have no idea why the microsoft explorer letters would get small that sounds strange. But yes I would go buy more RAM memory.

Well it might be about time to go out and buy you some more memory which will probally be the fastest fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back