Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Font embedded in PDF = incorrect display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xantix

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
BE
Hi,

I created a PDF file from an impromptu report without any font embedded. I used only Arial and Times new roman fonts in my report. It is perfectly readable on my server (windows 2000) but once it is displayed on my local computer (windows XP) the text is complete garbadge. It looks as if the Arial and Times new roman fonts were not installed on my computer but they are. Is there an incompatibility between the fonts of win2K and winXP?
I don't want any font to be embedded in this PDF, but this report must be readable on any windows XP based computer? What should I do?

Thanks for you help,

Xantix,

If you only use a defined list of fonts in your reports, you "SHOULD" embed them in your report by utilizing the settings in your PDF server (via Configuration Manager) such that your embedded font list string includes those particular fonts. That way you won't run into this issue form machine to machine...

Pedro Cardoso
A.K.A CanadianTechie
[pc2]

Pedro,

Thanks but the goal is to get a smaller PDF and that’s why I want these fonts out because I want to send them by mail. In my company every computer has almost the same configuration in order to use these kinds of "tricks".

After some testing I realised that even if I create a PDF on my win XP, the text is still unreadable! I don’t understand why. I use fonts that are obviously presents on my computer or else I couldn’t use them in my report. Once the PDF is created without fonts, adobe should find these fonts on my system and use them to display a correct report, am I right?

When I look at the font used in the report (via adobe writer), it says “ArialMT” and not Arial.
I red that it may be the “postscript” name of the Arial font, I have no idea what that means but it seems to be the source of the problem, I get the same result using Times new roman. But if I use any other fonts (well, I haven’t tried them all) then the text is clear…
So I had to change the font in all my reports to be able to create PDF without embedding any.
Now it works, but I’d like to know what happen when using Arial or Time New Roman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back