Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Email Notification With Outlook 2k SR-1. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBass

MIS
Jun 20, 2002
US
As the subject states, I can't get email notification to work for scheduled jobs with Outlook 2k SR-1 as the client. The notification test works, but prompts with the Outlook security box asking if I want to allow an application to access Outlook. I have to click Yes for the test to work.

I believe this is the culprit, as I have a near-identical server with operational email notification, but it doesn't have the SR-1 version of Outlook 2k.

For the record, these two servers are as follows:
Server 1, automated email notification doesn't work:

-Win2k Server SP2
-Backup Exec 8.5
-Outlook 2k SR-1

The second server is set up similar, tho it's NT4 with non-SR-1 Outlook 2k. Build versions of BE are same on both machines.

If this is the problem, is there workaround that doesn't require SMTP? (I don't believe I can use SMTP due to our company security policies). Is Outlook Express affected by the SR-1 update in the same way? I've yet to investigate that..

Many questions.. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

you can switch of the attachment checking in OL 2k sr1 from options, security, attachment security - this should allow backup exec to send the mail, although it would also let anything that could get into your account's inbox send attachments (viruses etc.)

just fyi - it's not possible to use outlook xp for email notification - the method backup exec uses is always blocked by default...

Thanks, tho there is no "attachment security" option in Outlook 2k SR-1 under Tools/Options/Security. My understanding about the SR-1 security update is that it cannot be removed once installed, and cannot be turned off. I suppose otherwise people would install it, turn it off, and be back to where they were before..

The only possible workaround I can see for this is here:
This workaround is exceptionally complex and beyond my time/ability to put it into place & test it just to get email notification from a backup..

I'll keep searching for a way around this, but it appears the short answer is there is no workaround.

Chris

I am not sure this will help but 1st if your company has an exchange server then you can use it's SMTP to handle the Email. If you have an exchange server then I doubt seriously they wouldn't let you use it. They probably wouldn't know it to begin with. If not whatever email handler the company is using is probably SMTP based so if you know the server name or internal ip your home free.

If your company doesn't have an email server then I have actually pointed one client's notification setup to their ISP's mail server which was SMTP based. I guess what I am trying to say is there is probably an SMTP server in your shop or connected somewhere you could use.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back