Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no domain server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAWNP

IS-IT--Management
Feb 15, 2001
CA
I have a mixed network of win95 win98 nt and 2000 computers
and 2 win2000 servers.I can ping by server name and computer name on only 1 server the other server can only be ping by computer name by all none 2000 workstations. the windows 2000 workstation can ping by server name or computer name.

On the server that resolves names correctly has no wins server installed, the other one does. DNS is configured on both servers

The server that cannot be resolved by name is it has an NIC card that is connected the the internet. the DNS also points the the internet. I also has a Wins server installed on it this i thought would help to resolve the local name
as the DNS is pointing to the internet

Could someone point me in the right direction. I have tried all of the microsoft fixes that are listed on the net with no result

There could be several issues here. First, for a w2k domain, you need an internal DNS server. All internal computers (and your external one, actually) should point to this server as their primary DNS. On the internal network DNS Server you should also have secondary (and tertiary, etc) DNS servers that are assigned by your ISP and will resolve external names. (I assume there is NAT or some sort of proxy for internal computers to see the Internet).

Configure your internal W2k DNS server so that it has two zones. A forward lookup zone for your internal space and that will be integrated with Active Directory. This zone should be named after your full domain name (ie. internal.somebody.com). Create a reverse lookup zone (if it isn't there already) to look up addresses in your internal network IP space (ie. 192.168.0.*). Delete any forward lookup zone that starts with a ".".

Restart the netlogon service, and all of your domain locator SRV records will be registered in DNS and you should be able to resolve internal and external names.

Good Luck,

Natrons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back