Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No domain server was available to validate your password

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindowsAdmin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2002
US
I am having NT 4.0 domain server and DHCP installed. On one client( windows 95 ) when I gives the password for login,it gives the message "no domain server was available to validate your password. You will not get the access of some of the resources." After pressing OK button I can access all the resources in the network. Then why it is giving the above message?

make sure that the client and server is connected up properley, even though its just two computers your useing you either need a cross over cable to go direct from the netcard on the server to the netcard on the client, or have a cable from the server into a hub then from the client into the hub.

Marc

to make sure you are connecting to your DHCP server, go to the command prompt on your win95 client and type winipcfg. This will tell you if have received an IP address from your server. If not try releasing and renewing. If a new address appears then your connection is ok and so is your DHCP server. If the ip address does not appear or times out then either the cabling is incorrect or there is a DHCP server prob. check both

the message means that your computer is trying to connect to your domain but it did not find any domain controller, but since your computer is a win95 client that have no requirement to logon to a domain, it just went through. Since DHCP server also serve to respond to a DHCP request by your client (DHCP also have no need to logon/authenticate to domain), your win95 client get the IP address from your DHCP server.

Remember that win95 operates in a workgroup environment, that is why your win95 client, eventhough not authenticated, could still browse/ find other computer in the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back