Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no domain server available to validate password

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezza33

MIS
Oct 30, 2000
GB
Win98 client cannot log on. Client can ping both ip address and name of nt4 pdc. Cannot browse in network neighbourhood on client, but can browse network neighbourhood on pdc, but I do not see the client. PDC cannot ping either ip address or name of client. Have tried static ip and dhcp which seems to work as running winipcfg on client shows a valid ip address and subnet from dhcp scope. Have installed wins server on pdc and added name and ip address of client. Have configured client tcp/ip properties to enable wins and added ip address of wins server and checked that the domain name to log on is the same. IP address of server is 10.0.0.2 - subnet 255.0.0.0 and ip address of client is 10.0.0.3 - subnet 255.0.0.0. I could understand it better if I couldn't ping either the client or the server, but he fact I can ping successfully from the client is beating me!! Any ideas?? Is it anyhing to do with the subnet mask I am using?

The first thing to check is all of the physical connections. Start with the port on the hub (switch ports)then the cables then the NIC. Most times when you get that error it is a physical layer problem. I have seen many time when a 10 mb nic is plugged into a 100 mb hub and it will not work. Any one disagree please jump in.

Hello jezza33,
How many clients are on your network ?
How many domain controllers PDC and BDC do you use ?
Is this the only client which cannot connect ?
Do you use single speed hubs or do you use 10/100 ?

Please give more info about the setup to make it easier to help you.

The theory of the physical connections is not bad but the fact that you can ping one way reduces this possibility (according to me!)... Still, if you are not on the same level of hubs, it should be easy enough to make a test by connecting the client on the same hub as the server. S. Gagner
MIS
A+ MCP

Do you have anything in the scope id setting under the wins tab in the tcp/ip protocol, if you do this must match on all machines on your network.

Nice simple setup as follows:

one pdc - without a bdc, 10 clients, all connected through the same 10/100 switch. No clients can connect using just tcp/ip but they can via netbuei. Clients have a mixture of 10/100 or 10 meg network cards. Nothing is inserted under wins tab under tcp/ip settings. Will publish results of cable testing, but in the meantime any other ideas?

Windows98 as well as windows NT makes a difference between workgroup and domain.
However, under windows98, you need to specify a workgroup even if you are configured to logon to a domain...
Make sure both the domain name and the workgroup are the same... this should help seeing the clients when you browse the network neighbourhood from the server (since you are able to do this).
Of course this is not a solution for your login problem, but it might help in figuring out what the problem is.

When you say you cannot browse neighbourhood from the clients, is it that you see no other computer or is it that you get an error message ? If it is just that you donot see the other computers, it might be because your computer has not received the browse list from the server yet... this can take a while (20 to 40 minutes).

Can you post the IP configuration of a client and the properties of the "client for microsoft networks" of that same client ? S. Gagner
MIS
A+ MCP

can you acces resources on your server after that message ?
if so ... check your switch to see if the portfast is enabled on that port.

check article Q247922 on technet.

Ramirez

I think that the post by NTNET was right on the money. I have seen the same problem when the client does not have a valid Workgroup name. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the support my friends.

Further information as requested.

The Domain name on NT Server is the same name as the workgroup on the Win 98 Client. On the Win 98 clients under Network Neighbourhood, I can see all the clients including the client I am browsing from, but not the server.

IP Configuration of client is as follows:

ip address 10.0.0.2
subnet 255.0.0.0
Gateway is not used

Configuration of client for microsoft networks is as follows:

Logon to Windows NT Domain name is selected

Windows NT Domain is DOMAIN

Logon and restore Network Connections is selected.

Identification is as follows:

Computer Name is DELL98
Workgroup is DOMAIN
Computer Description is Downstairs Office

Access Control is set to Share level.

Once I get my "cannot logon...etc" message, I do NOT have access to any server resources. My real concern now is that maybe this is hardware related, as I have installed NETBUEI on a client and the server, and I still cannot log on!! I will be testing this using a different switch, new network cards and cables etc, to try and eliminate.

In the words of Richard Dreyfuss from the film "STAKEOUT"......OOOOHHH I LOVE MY JOB SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!

Thanks for the help so far.

Hi Jezza33

Did you check up the Server Manager on NT4 Server..are u able to c your 98 m/c there if not refresh that and add 98 m/c in server manager. I faced this kind of problem before and after doing this it started working immediately.

Hello again jezza33,

I just tought of something...
Did you check the netlogon service on the server ?
This service should be running to make it possible for clients to authenticate (It should be by default, but you never know !)
Other important services to check would be the server service and the workstation service.
These three are used to permit logon and to maintain sessions active along the way...

Do you get errors in the event viewer ?

Please let me know S. Gagner
MIS
A+ MCP

You could also check the NIC settings for "Full Duplex" and "Half Duplex". Have seen similar behaviour when these do not match at either end of the wire.
M2CW

Good luck

Replaced what seems to be a faulty NIC in the PDC - very strange, and I can now see all workstations and servers from any machine in Network Neighbourhood while using NetBuei. When I remove Netbuei from a client, I cannot log on with the original message " no domain server available to validate password".

I can ping by name and ip address from the server to a client successfully. I can ping the server from from a client by IP address but when I ping the server name I get the message "bad IP address NTSERVER".

Sorry for the extended requests for advice, but obviously this is a name resolution problem. Should I use WINS or LMHOSTS to resolve, bearing in mind this is a small network of under 20 PC's?

Netlogon service is running on server, and I can see the client under server manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back