Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no domain controller found when logging on to the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagwis

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
JP
I have a workstation running on windows ME. My problem is everytime i logged in to the network the following error occurs "no domain controller to verify your password". If i cancell the logon prompt and try to ping nodes on my network, i can ping the server and all the workstation in the network. I installed netbuei, tcp/ip and microsoft client. All my configurations are correct but i still wasn't able to logged in the network. Any suggestions from u guys on how will i solved this problem?..thanx

I would check your IP Address, Your Machine Name, make certain that there are no dupicates on the network.
I assume that you have the subnet mask set correct.
Are you using Static Addresses or DCHP?
Hope this helps some. It's a place to start.

What type of network are you running on........Novell, NT, peer to peer.........???

Im running a Windows NT network, i have a unique machine name and IP address. My IP addresses are static. The machine is a Sony vaio PIII 7++. I already tried uninstalling all network adapter drivers and protocols and reinstalling them again but i still i wasn't able to log in the network. I can ping all nodes on my network and even has internet access but I wasn't able to log-in. One more thing from the machine in question I can ping all nodes, but i cannot ping the machine in question from the network.. sound confusing eh... hope you guys can help.. thanx..

check user manager, maybe make a new account for thje user on the sony and remeber passwords are case sensitive.
also try another user name and password from a different machine (when that one is not logged on)

Tim Dodgson
t_dodgson@yahoo.com

running on windows nt, uses static ip, correct subnet mask, no duplicate machine name, uses the same workgroup like the rest of wrkstn, the machine in question can ping any node on the network but the machine in question cannot be ping from the network. the machine is a sony vaio.

Hope u guys can help... thanx

Do you have file sharing set up in network properties, if not you want be able to see from other stations. Try signing in on the workstation as administrator, make sure when you make a change in network properties you restart then workstation. Make sore you check the spelling of the domain under the properties of Microsoft Network Client smandel@ecmelec.com

Remove the NETBUEI protocol for this connection. Multiple protocols can cause this error because NETBUEI runs first, and if the server is set up for TCP/IP, it will reject your login attempt.
Also make sure your domain (Under Client for Microsoft Networks), and workgroup (Under the Identification tab) are set correctly in your Network settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back