Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Display name in Global Address List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee168

IS-IT--Management
Nov 11, 2002
US
I just created a user called "jdoe" with e-mail address jdoe@abc.com. The problem I have is that the display name is never show up in Global Address List, eventhought there is NO check mark in "Hide from exchange address list" in "exchage-advanced" tab, I can't even add jdoe account in outlook; It given out an error saying can't resolve jdoe name. I check all the policies and security rights, everything looks good. I could even send and receive e-mail thru OWA.

Have any of you guys encounter this kind of problems? Any suggestion and help would be appreciated.

Maybe a silly question, but you did fill in the Display Name in AD, right? If the solution is here, let us know it was helpful so others can benefit from it as too

Yes, There is a display name called "jdoe".

Another issue is that, when I created an account, it initially didn't create an e-mail address althought the mailbox creation was successful. I had to go to account/user property to add an e-mail address manually. Do you thing initial set-up has something to do with the diplay name?

Check that your Exchange 2000 is not a front-end server. Front-end servers don't generate/add users to the GAL list.

If you don't have it as a front-end server and you still experience that problem, you can still use Adsiedit.msc (Windows 2000 Support tools) to edit the property showInAddressBook. Just select the user in question, go to it's properties and search for the property (it's an optional property btw). Insert the DN of the GAL there and "voilá", your user is Address List enabled. If you don't know how to insert the GAL's DN just check for the value of the property on a user that already appears on the address list and copy it.

I hope it helps and best regards,
Paulo Rosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back