Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no display in dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenh

MIS
Mar 1, 2001
GB
My display works fine in Windows but not DOS. On boot up, the monitor doesn't seem to get a signal until Windows loads. I need to re-install Windows but can't do it by the startup disk. Any ideas?

When you say it doesn't work in DOS, does it show the BIOS screen, POST results etc., prior to booting into Windows?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

No. There's no display at all until the Windows desktop begins to load.

Sounds like your display can't do VGA. Possibly a card problem. And if you can't do VGA and get into setup your computer is a ticking timebomb. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

This leaves too many questions.

What version of windows?

How are you trying to use DOS?

Some windows versions emulate DOS and do not really have true DOS. Do you try to go from windows to DOS or are you using a dos window?

What exactly are you trying to do in DOS?
If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Doesn't matter what he is trying to do. He isn't getting the POST displays he requires.
System wasn't setup as a dual monitor system, was it? Additional video port there, 15 pin hd socket or 9 pin low density socket?
Know it sounds far , out, but I've gotta ask. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Just out of curiosity is the card a multi-display card? That is to say does it have two or more connection on it for monitors. If so, try the other for VGA. Good Luck.

Van-

There may be a very simple reason :
The brightness is turn too low but window has set the intensity
high enough to let itself show but not dos. No harm trying to
turn the brightness higher and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back