Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No disks supplied by retailer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexRacer

Technical User
Aug 6, 2001
US
I'm a bit confused. I just bought a new system from a reputable retailer and the only disk that came with the comp was a resore disk. I didn't get a copy of the XP disk. Looking further in my comp I noticed that the retailer partitioned my HD and all my preloaded software is there. I bought a lisence for this software... Shouldn't I have a copy of it to reload in the case of a crash??? What do I do if I have a HD failure and loose the partition with the the software on it?

Thanks SQLbill... I just wanted to make sure that XP wasn't just in the partition and the restore disk would extract it.

when you buy a retail computer, they usually give you a restore cd which included an OEM (original equiptment manufacturer) version of windows, which is no different for the retail version except there are no XP cds to distribute. the OEM (HP, COMPAQ, EMACHINES, SONY) installs win xp to a comp. at their factory, install drivers and software, and they mirror it on to a cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back