Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no dialtone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zama

ISP
Oct 27, 2002
JP
I have a customer with a conexant 56k pci voice modem SF-1156 IV R9A using WIN Me she lives in an area(Military Base in Japan) with a weird dialtone i had her uncheck wait for dialtone and tried several strings to Include ATX3,AT&F1 and AT&F&C1&D2 and others unistalled and reinstalled the drivers and it still says the same thing - no dialtone- does anyone know of a solution or a string that will force it not to wait for dialtone
Thanks

I have seen this problem several times, and every time, it was that the modem had taken a voltage spike (normally a lightening strike). The modem's hardware is simply wiped out, and no matter what you do, it will not recognize a dial tone.

Replacing the modem with the same or a similar model will fix the problem.

BTW, an X1 tells the modem to ignore ALL call progress tones, but if an X3 did not work, an X1 will not either.

pansophic

Thanks for the info it was much appreciated

I experienced something similar and I went into Settings, Control Panel, Phone and Modems, Modems, Properties and disabled ''wait for a dial tone''and it worked. Another otpion is to put 1470,, infront of the number you are using to dial-up to the internet as this enables caller ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back