Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No dial tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhlopez

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
CO
I connect an extension to my modem but it doesnt give tone but if I connect to the modem a direct line to my modem it
works. Maybe i need some additional parameters to my modem?
Thanks

Not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve here... If you connect a telephone handset to the extension do you hear dial tone when you lift the receiver? Can you dial out ok on this extension? Is it through a PABX/switch, and do you dial a code to get an "outside line"? If yes, then maybe you need to programme your modem to dial this code ahead of the number...

More info from you would help us try and determine the source of your problem.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve here... If you connect a telephone handset to the extension do you hear dial tone when you lift the receiver?
Answer: Yes
Can you dial out ok on this extension? Yes, with a phone
Is it through a PABX/switch, and do you dial a code to get an "outside line"? Yes
If yes, then maybe you need to programme your modem to dial this code ahead of the number...

The probles is the tone, when i put a headset it works and i can dial, but if I connect the extension to the modem, this it doesn't work, does not give tone

What I am reading is that you have a phone system and that you can dial out with the phone system. But you can not with a modem. The answer here is easy. Your phone system is digital and your modem is analog. You can not connect an analog modem to a digital phone system. If you connect a regular analog handset phone you will probably not get a dial tone either.

Obvious I am putting the modem in a analog line and not in a digital line, I am not begginner in the subject of the communications I know to the difference of a digital line and a analog line Thanks.

Check the dc line voltage (on and off hook) for the extension off the PABX that you're trying to use for the modem - it sounds as if it might be too low for the modem to detect...

What make and model of modem are you using, and can you possibly try a different one on that same PABX extension?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back