Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No dial tone under windows 98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

saracen

Technical User
Aug 1, 2000
GB
I have just installed windows 98 and windows 2000 pro on my my computer. the system is set up as a duel boot with windows 2000 as the default. I hace an Elsa microlink 56K PCI modem. under windows 98 i recive the error message &quot;No Dial Tone, Make sure the modem is correctly connected to the computer and phone line,&quot; something like that anyway, i know there is no problem with the modem, the phone or anything else for that matter becuase the modem works fine under windows 2000 + it worked fine under windows 95 when i had that.<br><br>Any ideas<br><br>Saracen

Hi,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;In the Control Panel, click on modem. Go on the tab Diagnositic. Click on the modem, click on the button MORE INFO.. it will check if the modem answer.. I think that maybe, you have a COM port conflict.. So if Windows writes, COM already open.. you will have found your problem..<br><br> <p>Ben_Cool ;)<br><a href=mailto:ben_cool@hotmail.com>ben_cool@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi<br><br>I tried checking to see if the port is allready open and it does not appear to be, according to windows the modem is working properly and it is not conflicting with any devices.<br><br>Just in case it might help:-<br>Com1 - Not in use<br>Com2 - Not in use<br>Com3 - internal modem<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Saracen

On the ELSA website, there's 2 drivers:<br><br>Driver for the ELSA MicroLink 56k PCI HSF for Windows 9x <br>- 56kpcihsf9x.exe 1.23MB 11/05/1999&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>------------------------------------------------------------<br>Driver for the ELSA MicroLink 56k PCI for Windows 9x<br>- 56kpcihcf9x.exe 454KB 11/05/1999&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Have you tied these 2..? the difference, there's a HSF.. so check for the right one, or try both..<br><br>Windows 2000 is using is own drivers, that's why it can work very well, for '95, go figure..!! but, if you can pickup the same drivers in '95 in the:<br>C:\WINDOWS\INF\OTHER, you should find the drivers. Copy it on your HD and go get them with the Browse key in the driver installation process..<br><br>Hope this will help..<br><br><br><br> <p>Ben_Cool ;)<br><a href=mailto:ben_cool@hotmail.com>ben_cool@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

We had same problem with external modem. If you shure that phone line and modem ok, you can just switch off

&quot;wait for dial tone&quot; switch on modem properties tab.

i have the wait for dial tone option checked + i have tried all of the drivers from the website.<br><br>Please Help!!<br><br>Saracen

Tried unchecking the option? Not too sure about W2K, but uncheck it via the DUN connection, not control panel. Or do it via control panel and make a new DUN connection. <p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>I assemble and sell these things.

First remove modem through device manager. Now install it through the &quot;add hardware&quot; applet in control panel. If this does not work.......go into BIOS and disable one of your serial(com) ports. Microsoft uses virtual com ports and your physical serial ports may be sucking up available i/o addresses and IRQs which need to be used by the virtual com port........now try &quot;add hardware&quot; again...... I've done this many times!<br><br>Hope I helped<br>J. Rotten

Hi<br><br>Thanks for all your help, but i have now solved the problem. It appears that in the network control panel there was no TCP/IP protacol installed, with this installed the modem now works.<br><br>Thanks again<br><br>Saracen

I'm glad you solved your problem. It is only a matter of perseverance and patience. You can now chat with your friends in the net. Good luck.

Thanks again for all your help.<br><br>Saracen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back