Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No dial tone in my external modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Ok im at my ends wits here. I have a Rockwell external v.90 K56 Modem but the Modem it self says its a Patrol Cheeta modem.
I use a internal modem no problems on com3. I installed the external on com2 installed ok but while dialing out i get no dial tone detected. So i installed every other driver in the cd that came with it, but still no dial tone.
Please any ideas. Im running windows 2000 pro edition.
Thank You

You'll have to completely remove the internal's drivers, and reinstall the externals. It's probably getting confused by different driver versions. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Why is that its on com2 and different drivers for external and internal modems.
There is no conflict within the modems.
Thanks anyway for your thought.

Assuming that you have eliminated the possibility that:
1. The phone line is dead
2. Phone line is in the wrong jack on the modem - (should be in LINE or TELCO or JACK or WALL) - then try modifying the init string and use X0 instead of X4. (The "X" setting controls the result reporting from the modem for things like: NO DIALTONE, CONNECT messages, etc.)For most modems X0 will enable them to blind dial - i.e. not check for dial tone before dialing. If this fixes the problem there is most likely a problem with the modem's dial tone detection or the dial tone signal is too weak. Also, if this works you may want to experiment with X2 or X3 so that you can get as much result reporting as possible from the modem.

Simple thing here. In the modem properties, there's a "wait for dial tone before dialing" box that you can select. REMOVE THAT CHECK!! Also, make sure your phone cord isn't frayed, connected to a splitter, or a surge protector. That can dim the signal, and cause no dial tone errors. I'm also running win2k, and got the same error. After that, it worked fine. Also, go by beardjr's suggestion, by adding "x2" to the init string. I work for an ISP, and I see this problem every day of my life.

Good luck!
Julie s-)

Adding x2 to an init string will only work for Lucent chipsets. If it's a Rockwell/Conexant, the add-on would be S10=50 (increase the number 50 to anything up to 255 if the problem persists). If it's an Ambient/Cirrus Logic/Intel, the init string is different again...
Wrong driver versions are a major cause of "no dialtone" in Win2k, mostly with Rockwell/Conexant modems, and unticking the "wait for dialtone" does not always fix it. Usually, one must find out the REAL manufacturer of the modem, and hope that they have non-beta drivers for Win2k. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Make sure you are using the correct phone cable. They all use RJ-11 plugs now, but I have come across at least two different wiring combinations, and only the correct configuration will work with your modem.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

My modem says no dial tone detected. I checked it on another computer and in worked fine. When I tried to install to my computer again, I discovered that it can detect the dial tone if I lift my phone's handset during detection. I thought that setting the modem to "Do not wait for dial tone" will fix the problem. I was wrong. Instead it dialed the number but was not able to hear the response.

Any ideas regarding this situation.

I am using an HSP56 MicroModem (Internal) manufactured by CNET. It's brand name is SinglePoint.

Thanks.

Mikee :cool:

I have the "NDT" problem with an old sprtster 14.4k modem that I'm using in a "recycle an old system for an ungrateful relative" scenario (y o y did I agree to do this?) and just came across this explanation to what I think is my problem. Hope it enlightens somebody

<Solution #1:

Verify that the phone system is not a digital phone system. The modem only supports standard bell lines. Digital phones generally are 5v or 12v systems, the standard bell line typically operates at around 40-50v with 90-100v during the ring sequence. Although no damage should occur to the phone system or the modem by plugging it in to a digital connection, the modem will not detect a dial tone or be able to dial out. Some digital phone systems have modem conversion modules available that produce the correct voltage and usually show that the line is in use. If such a module is not available, then a standard modem line needs to be run, bypassing the digital system. Some phone companies may refer to the standard phone lines as &quot;POTS&quot; lines - Plain Old Telephone System>
This can be found at

give an string in the advanced tab of modem as
ATX3,
i think it will solve ur problem, if not try giving AT1
or AT2

modem wizard cant detect my external modem..i check it already if its power on,and its on..both cables are connected properly...although i just installed com2 cause at first it wont detect my com2 but i already installed it but i used win95 cd for the driver..but it doesnt seem to give an error however..i really duont know wats wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back