Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No dial tone & display on the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hadacon

Technical User
Feb 13, 2007
SA
Hi,
Suddenly one phone 3902 on option 11 stop working. No display no dial tone. I make it out and copy as below but get error. Phone still dead.

REQ: cpy 1
TYPE: 3902
CFTN 016 14
DES M3902

*** MAKE PRINTER READY ***
TN 016 15
DN 399

NEW 3902 TN 016 0 00 15 DN 399

SCH5525
*** FINISHED ***
MEM AVAIL: (U/P): 1218961 USED U P: 108222

Please help to solve the problem.

With best regards,
Hadacon

Stat the TN to make sure it's not disabled. Try another set or mov to another TN to make sure you don't have a bad set or port.

Using the above screen capture as a reference:

STAT 16 15

should respond IDLE, if it does not ENLU 16 15

IDU 16 15

should respond back with information about the set, if it does not respond back with information about the set, it will respond with an NPR message.

If you get an NPR message, investigate cabling & phone.

First try taking a phone you know works to the cable jack and see if you can IDU the working phone at the position. Second, try connecting a different TN to the cable jack (at the MDF cross connect panel).

If an IDU fails you usually have either a bad phone or bad cabling between the phone and the PBX. In rare cases you have a port that goes bad on the digital line card.

I had something similar this morning on a 2616 and an Option 61 Succession 3.0 No dial tone on any of the line appearances, and wrong time on the display. I just unplugged the phone and plugged it back in again and..............voila.

I sure wish they were all that easy!

I would check in this order: phone, wiring, port on card. It looks like the programming is ok.

You should use better trouble shooting technics, always start with the simplest thing first. swap it with a known working phone like the one next to it before outing the programming and rebuilding it. or plud a phone in at the demac in the phone room on that TN to see if it works there, it could be a bad phone or a bad cable.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

acewarlock said:
You should use better trouble shooting technics, always start with the simplest thing first.

True, that's why I always start with (1) is the phone programmed, (2) is it IDLE, (3) does it IDU. This way I don't even have to go through the effort of walking out to touch equipment before I've verified the first 3 things. If any of those fail, then you know where to start troubleshooting.

My experience w/ 3900 sets and a known programmed set that has no display... replace the set w/ good set, might have had a cup of coffee, then switch the port. I've had more bad ports than cables, but my equipment is 10+ yrs. old and cabling is newer.

Forgot to mention, even disabled sets show a date and time. May not be correct, but still displays.

I recently had a simpilar issue with a 3904. Periodically it would only show the date and time. At first unplugging the phone would fix it.

Then I tried to to replace the phone. It still came back.

Then I changed ports. it came back.

Last I changed all the cable pairs. It was in a differnt building from the PBX so there were a few. So far this seems to have fixed it. Though I could not find and shots or any thing on the old pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back