Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Dial 9 on PRI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmail

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2002
US
Situation....IPO 406V2 3.0.59 with 3 copper backup lines and 1 PRI. Customer doesn't want to dial 9 to go to outside line. Can this be done? They want to pickup phone on call appr a and dial 10 digit number??

Any ideas?

Just create a shortcode as follows:

SC: ?
TN: .
FT: Dial
LGID: 1 (or whatever your PRI Line Group ID is)

Then, if you want, setup another shortcode to access the analog lines, such as 9N, with a line group ID equal to that of the analog trunks.

Is that what you meant?

Yes...Thanks,
So they can use the PRI without having to dial 9 from a 54xx set right?

Remember to setup shortcodes to block any calls you dont want them to be able to dial i.e. 900, 976, etc. That shortcode will allow them to be able to dial any number they want.

Hey Vmail, I just wanted to see if the short code worked? I have a situation where I have outside gates on a gated community that will be using an analog port on the IP Office and will be using 7 digit local dialing only to the homes located inside (gate boxes will be using bin numbers to access programmed numbers). I would like to lose the "9" to make the access easier. Please let me know if that shortcode was workable. Thank you for your time!

Bill

This is becoming a strange one. Are all you guys in the US or locales other than ENG???

The codes I discussed above are enabled by default on all UK systems with the ENG locale, but none of you are familiar with them so I guess Avaya left them out of the other locales.

The "?" code works just fine. The only potential issue can easily be resolved by just making sure you adjust the dial delay and/or digit count. Occassionally you may be dialing a local number which starts 230 and it clashes with an extn number. Have a play with the delay and dial count settings on the System form if you hit this issue.

Bill -- Didn't work, but I will be there in a few days to test further. Will let you know.

if you dont use a 9 for access to pri, how will the system know the difference between dial an extension and dialing a outside number. I see this as be a big problem...

?why - how often is an extension number going to match an external number. As it is the IP Office will always match internal directory numbers before trying any shortcodes.

As said by Mytelecoms, the rest of the world, ie. outside North America, gets by with IP Office's that don't use a dial prefix by default.

I have tried this before, believe it or not, on occasion, the user will dial a external phone number matching an extension. The call will never get through. Im not trying to debate the fact, im just explaining my experience with this particular application. Do as u will....

I can see it but takes some pondering, just too used to always dialing the area code which always starts with 0 so never matches an extension - so the 0 acts as a sort of inbuilt external dialing prefix.

The IPO waits untill Either the usere has paused for the dial delay timer or hass diald the number of digits in the dial delay count & this should always be greater than the extn number length
therfoe if the caller dials an internal number he will dial 3 digits & pause, this will then matcgh the internal number.
if he is dialing an external number he will get to digit 4 the system will start processing not match the extn number & process as a short code sending the call to the outside line.

you will sometimes find useres dial part of the number & then pause to lookup the rest, this can result in internal numbers being dialed.

Since when does the customer understand the way the world-wide phone network was designed. The question isn't "Can it be done", its "Should it be done". We've gone in an cleaned up several sites where a sales person promised it could be done and the site had non-stop problems or "unexplainable" issues. Since the Telco Network wasn't designed with this site in mind, they need to segregate themselves from that public network. The way to do this is to create a shortcode (9, 8, whatever). If they don't like that, and you're not using actual Line Appearances in 3.0.x, then you as a professional should strongly recommend it not be done. Furthermore, you should state up front that if they do force you to do it, you will not be held responsible for the "unexplainable" ghosts in the system that make things act strangely at times. :)

Sometimes the truth hurts, but the customer is hiring us to think for them in matters they don't understand. Even if they don't like the answer now, they'll appreciate it later when they prevent a bigger problem.

Kris G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back