Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgw69

MIS
Mar 31, 2003
US
I have a remote server that I can logon to. When I login
as Admin there are no desktop icons or taskbar. I had
someone login at the actual site and they said
they were getting the samething. They can't even ctrl-alt-
del. This server is a DC for the remote office and it is
a child domain to our main office. If I login as Admin
for the Main office's domain on the same server I can see
icons. What could the problem be?
thanks
dgw

Can you or they login as any user and get a desktop? If not, that server has some serious issues. Does it run okay (i.e. provide file & print services)?

Can you have them boot to safe mode and login?

Matt

Everything works fine. They have Internet access and can access files on the server.

Check the local and Domain Controller policy. There are settings that will do what you describe.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 256194
No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional

This article was previously published under Q256194
SYMPTOMS
When you log on to Windows 2000, you may see a blank desktop or no desktop. When this occurs, you can press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to start Task Manager, but Explorer.exe is not listed in the list of running tasks or processes. Starting a new instance of Explorer.exe does not resolve the issue.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if there is an older version of the Shdocvw.dll file in the %SystemRoot% folder. Because Explorer.exe is located in the %SystemRoot% folder, the search path for any called files starts in the %SystemRoot% folder before the path is searched. The default search order always looks for a called file in the folder containing the program file before searching the path to locate the file.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
If necessary, change to the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old.
Restart the computer.
MORE INFORMATION
Other older files that may cause problems with Explorer.exe or the shell if they are located in %SystemRoot% folder:
Browseui.dll
Comctl32.dll
Comdlg32.dll
Mlang.dll
Ole32.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shdocvw.dll
Shell32.dll
Shlwapi.dll
Urlmon.dll
Wininet.dll
Setupapi.dll

For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
162031 Blank Screen or Operating System Cannot Load Profile at Logon

255758 Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows

249321 Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed

137155 Users Without System32 Permissions Cannot Log On

The desktop may also be blank if your computer is configured for multiple monitors and the icons are on a portion of the desktop that is outside the viewable range. Check the properties for the video adapter, and then click Settings. If two monitors are displayed, but only one is in use, click the first monitor, and then check the settings. If the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box is selected, click to clear the check box, and then click Apply. The icons should then reappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back