Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO DESKTOP SERVER 2003 and LONG LOG ON, Hour plus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincelewin

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2002
GB
ok.

Windows 2003 server, no service pack. No bad events logged.

Rebooted didnt come back up properly.

Network clients didnt notice as the shares are available etc. When you log on as Admin, locally or via romote desktop, at the server, it hangs at Applying computer settings. It will eventually get to a start bar, 1-2 hours later, but without any desktop icons.

Task manager does not show many processes or indeed much memory in use.

Has any one seen this before?

This is happening to me right now too. I don't have an answer yet - pretty much stumped.

Let me assume you have an APC UPS with the PowerChute software installed?

If so - this is an APS issue and you will need to update PowerChute to get past this. Best method is to download the update from the link below, reboot the server into Safe mode, disable the APC services, uninstall the older APC software, reboot the server normally, then install the newer version.

APC PowerChute Issue

That is EXACTLY it. I received the notice about the expiration and attempted download - servers busy I guess, never able to get it.

- D

Well, as a stop gap, you can just disable the APC services and uninstall the old software. You just won't get automatic shutdown initiated by the UPS if your power goes out.

Nice one.

Diabled both the services and the server sprang into life.

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to you all for the information you provided in this thread. I had this problem occur to my terminal server at the begining of the week and I have been banging my head against a wall trying to find out what was causing the problems.

Anyway now I have removed the crappy APC software everything seems to be back to normal!

Again Thanks!

Thanks to all for this post. This problem started happening to me on Tuesday and I've been banging my head for a few days about it. I thought it was a virus, but I'm glad it's not, just crappy software.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back