Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Default Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc559966

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
GB
I have 10 HP printers on my network (5si, 4000, 4050,etc) and for some reason, users are saying that their default printer is being lost. I've tried everything to do with profiles, ie set to local, delete and recreate, etc, and still no joy. I have the printers set up as network printers, however, there are a lot of users that have local printer ports set up. Also, the network printers are set up with hp jetdirect ports, and the local printer ports are either set up as HP Standard TCP/IP ports or Standard TCP/IP ports. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the printer gateway address is changing, causing users to lose their printers, but I can't be sure. I've removed all network printers and I'm starting to set users up with local HP Standard TCP/IP ports, plus I'm setting the printer gateway settings to the printer IP address. Can anyone help me out if this does not sort the problem. This problem happens on Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows NT4 machines so it can't be O/S specific.

Did this just"suddenly" occur? How about after a service pack or some network changes?? What about virus/anti-virus
error/messages.
If everything was ok in the past up to a certain point,look for external causes.
I hope this helps.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

This has been happening for a while now and I can not pinpoint it to an install or upgrade. It happens on Windows NT4 and Windows 2000 pc's so it can't be a service pack thing. There are no error messages, its really weird because sometimes the printer shows and sometimes it doesn't. It happens in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and other applications but its random. I've recreated user accounts and used both local and roaming profiles without any luck. Its really doing my chuff in.

Have yoy upgraded the firmware in the printers/jet direct cards?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back