Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No cursor in Microsoft Excel 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkoopers

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2005
US
The cursor no longer appears when I edit a cell in Excel 2016. It is not in the formula box either. I cannot tell the position of the cursor unless I type something or highlight something. I have had a long standing problem where there is no cursor in the search box or in the print dialog box where you type in selected page numbers. Now the problem has spread to Excel cells which makes it very inconvenient to edit cells. In Word 2016, I get a cursor where I type so that still works. I tried running a “Quick repair” of Microsoft Office from “Programs and Features” but it did not help.

My computer is running Windows 10.

What needs to be done to fix this?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

HI,

Have you only had this cursor problem in Excel or have you experienced this problem in other applications like your internet browser?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

The only other program that has this problem is the DYMO label printing software. All other software and all web browsers and all other Windows functions and utilities have a cursor.

I ran "Online Repair" for Microsoft Office from "Programs and Features" and the cursor when editing Excel cells was back. There is still no cursor in the search box or in the print dialog box where you type in selected page numbers but that is a very minor inconvenience.

I was going to try the "Online Repair" before I made the original post but I doubted it would help (I was wrong) and was concerned that it would cause more harm than good. The only negative side effect of the "Online Repair" was that I lost all my "pinned" recent Excel and Word shortcuts on the "Start Menu". The pinned recent files within Excel and Word were retained but the ones on the "Start Menu" were lost.

The problem came back this morning. Once again, the cursor no longer appears when I edit a cell in Excel 2016 and it is not in the formula box either. I ran the "Online Repair" again for Microsoft Office from "Programs and Features" but this time it did not fix the problem.

Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office and the NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver are all up-to-date.

Why did this problem happen, why did the problem return and what needs to be done to fix this?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back