Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no cpu installed/ bios problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Migs79

MIS
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am having problems with my pc and was wondering wether there are any suggestions out there. I get a "no cpu installed" and then it hangs for a while and then it said "system completed post" and as it was booting it kept saying "no cpu installed" until it booted into windows.

I've reset the cmos many times via the jumper and also replaced the cmos battery, resat the ram, added thermal grease, the fans are all going. the temps are:

mobo 29 C/ 84 F
cpu 29 C/ 84 F
cpu fan speed @ 2500 rpm
vcore 1.5 - 1.52 V

P4 1.60a ghz
256 ddr
2 hard drives, 1 cd-rom,
300 Watt PSU
ASUS P4S333 mobo

could it be my power supply or is it my motherboard? once it boots into windows the cpu is recognized under system properties and everything seems fine until I reboot, and then it does the same thing again. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Is this message appearing before or after the cmos startup completes, then Windows begins loading? If there were no cpu installed, the computer would not have the opportunity to ever display "no cpu installed", thus defeating the point of any manufacturer checking for a cpu & displaying an error message.

This couldn't be the work of a virus, could it?

well thanks for the reponses and sorry for the delay. But the "no cpu installed" voice message happens before the 10 minutes of the cmos trying to complete post and then after it completes post, and during the boot up until I get to the windows xp professional logo and then it stops. Right now I havent' even gotten it to do that. Don't beleive is a virus. I've tried barebones, memory, vid card and cpu and it still does the same thing.

In response to mainegeek: yes i've checked the asus website and my board has the current bios. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate all the help.

No CPU "FAN" installed!???????? I think that your motherboard is having problems reading the LOW RPM signal from your 80mm? fan.
I have seen this several times before when using one of the newer heatsink/fan units equipt with a slower running spinner (traditional 60mm heatsink fans typically 5,000rpm)
some motherboards just have trouble reading the lower speed.
Temporarily plug in a faster 60mm unit and re-route the existing fan plug to the case fan header to test my theory. Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

paparazi <---not the cpu fan bro. No processor installed. It's the motherboard voice saying it constantly. The fan is working fan, i posted the temps above.

I understood the question the first time! but my answer still stands, try it! don't diss it!
I'm not saying I'm right, but give it a go, it can't hurt.
Martin

paparazi <--got you now bro, no dissing here. Will give it a go. Thanks.

I recently took out the mobo and placed it on carboard and hooked it up barebones and still the same problems. I guess it's not the standoffs or anything metal touching.
Thank you all for the help.

&quot;Temporarily plug in a faster 60mm unit and re-route the existing fan plug to the case fan header to test my theory&quot;

so you're saying get a 60mm cpu fan and replace it with the cpu fan I'm using now? I don't get the rerouting part. Will it fit on my cpu? thanks again.

Migs 79,
Pull out your CPU fan plug (the one in the CPU fan header) and connect this plug to a chassis fan header instead, then get a seperate fan (fast 5,000rpm 60mm unit) and plug it into the CPU fan header so the motherboard thinks this fan is the one that is doing the CPU cooling.
No need to actually replace the CPU fan on the heatsink just hold the fan or tie it out the way whilst you boot and check if this has made any differance.
Martin

Hi there,

yo, Migs79 you talked about VOICE MESSAGE at Bootup thats telling you about a missing CPU????

and it hangs when BOOTING?

...FORGET about checking your FANS...

Dakota81 hit it right...

it sounds more than likely you've gotten hit by a VIRUS to me... Run a total system check with a Anti Virus program (preferrable one that checks the damn BootBlocks on the Hard Drive)...

BEN

PS. I've never heard of a MoBo going voice during POST telling someone that the CPU is missing... cuz if it was it wouldn't run... (Geez that's funny!)

BAdBigBen <---the voice message is part of the motherboard's feature. It can't be a virus. I have it barebones sitting on a piece of cardboard nothing hooked up but the video card, memory, fans. No hardrives..no virus. Plus i've reset the cmos so many times it's unlikely.

Still waiting to try paparazi's suggestion, need to go get a fan. My chassis fan is on the side of the case and it plus straight into the psu. I have to get a fan that I can plug into the cpu plug to switch the cpu fan to the chassis plug in.

BadBigBen <---it's weird to have your motherboard talk to you !!!

Migs79
I Had the same voice telling me that I have no CPU install on My Asus MoBo, When I went to Water Cooling
Only because I forgot to tell the mobo bios not to watch the fans speed. So I would try what paparazi suggested.
And BadBigBen Some MoBo Do Talk To you Thought Your Sound Card output or sys speaker

Hi Migs and cjmaki,

oops, I wasn't aware that this was implemented into a few MoBos... I stand corrected and take my hat off and am taking a bow... *g

I can only learn from experience that others have made in the past and pass on for others to learn about...

thanx guys,

Ben

BadbigBen <--it's all gravy, no one knows everything that's why they have message boards...

Learn from others and they'll learn from you.
share the knowledge and pass it around...

thanks anyways ....
I'm getting a fan today and i'll get back to you guys with paparazi's suggestion.

paparazi <---tried the 60 mm fan and plugged it into the cpu plugin. And plugged in the cpu fan where the chassis fan goes. but It still got me nowhere. I appreciate the help anyways. Will have to maybe get asus to give me a replacement. Thanks to everyone here for all your suggestions and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back