Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No cooperation with any files other than .MOV

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwood

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
US
Hey folks, I'm using DV500 to capture video clips from my video camera. Unfortunately, the only type of file it saves is AVI. And when I try to edit on Premiere 5.1, the AVI files don't work. Only MOV files evidently work on Premiere. Any advice would be apprciated. Thanks. edwood

Upgrade to premiere 6.0

I had this problem and discovered that my capture card would not work with Premiere 5.1 due to lack of plug-in support. Basically, I could capture video and I could even view it with media-player, but when I tried to import the files it gave me the same error message - unsupported file type.

The problem miraculously disappeared when I upgraded to 6.0

Ahhh, pickup a lovely programme like Premiere and find it refuses to recognize many supposed standard formats. Holding onto various video formats and being slothful I turned to a converter. After batch processing the conversion and many hours, I had acceptable mpeg clips. Though the quality was not as good as the original, it was not easy to see the difference.

A few free encoders can be had here
Avi2Mpeg can be found here - click on the lens -
Another encoder such as Avi2ASF (hey, I’ll probably use it) is available at the same site.

Just starting to experiment with Ulead Media Studio Pro that will convert many video formats. Hop over to Ulead (ulead.com) for more information. A few other programmes offered at Ulead for trial download (Visual Studio) offer encoding. I started a conversion from AVI to Mpeg with Visual Studio but stopped it after a few minutes. The conversion was to take over 5 hours – hopefully it was just the programmes estimation that was off.

One day I’ll learn the correct procedure with the correct equipment and capture in the fashion I desire. But then again there will always be these encoders for me. >trying to grin<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back