Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No CD-rom showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoolgrove

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
NL
Hi, I have installed a CD-WR on my machine as secondary slave but Windows fails to find it in "My Computer" whilst it is showing in "Device Manager" and appears to be working properly. I have tried swapping the drives around from slave to master but only the master is seen. Both drives are seen and work when I access them through a windows 98 boot disk, although when I go into the BIOS no secondary slave is installed also both CD-Drives will work independently from each other in windows but just never together.

I have tried to find "NoIDE" in the registry but to no avail and a new IDE cable didn't work for me neither. This is the first time I have tried to install a new drive so it might be something glaringly obvious.

Any help would be more than welcome,

thanks in advance,

Steve

P.S. Im running Windows 98SE

Make sure that the jumper settings for each drive are correct. One set as master and the other set as slave.On startup, enter the bios setup screen and select "auto detect drives" or something similar to that. Both drives should be detected. The master drive should be on the end of the cable, the slave on the middle connecter. The two connecters that are the closest to each other are the ones that connect to the CD's.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Hi RocKeRFelLerZ, thanks for the swift reply.

I have checked the jumper settings and made sure that the master is on the end of the cable. One thing I need to ask, the CD's don't go on the same cable as the floppy or the hard drive do they? ( please forgive my stupidity ) At the moment I have them on their own ribbon and going into their own IDE slot.

Secondary master and slave are set to "auto" in the BIOS and I have also ran FDISK /MBR to eliminate corrupt MBR.

Another thing that may be relevant is that I have had a message pop up saying something to the effect of " this program needs to be run in MS DOS compatability mode", but I don't know which program it refers to. I've looked in system properties - Advanced but there is nothing about any MS Dos compatability mode. I mention this because I have read this may be a possible cause.

Again T.I.A

Steve

CD's can use the same type of cable as hard drives, but things work better if they are on their own cable and IDE connecter. Highlight the "auto" in the bios and hit enter. There should be a choice to manually select from a list, if there is , select "cdrom" Or is there an optin to "detect ide devices"? If you can do that it should come up with the name and number of the cd(s)

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Once again thanks, I changed the settings in BIOS from Auto to CD drive and then back to Auto, now both drives are visable in CMOS and Device Manager just not in My Computer. Whichever way I set the jumpers only the D drive is seen. In Device Manager I have the IDE controller set to "Enable both IDE devices" and still not getting anywhere.

Any more ideas?

Many thanks

Steve

Many thanks for the help, I have fixed it with the following tweak. I know have two CD drives on my computer and am a happy bunny.

Run Regedit and check the two keys below for NoDrives in the right pane. Right
click it, select 'Modify' and set the value to '00', or 00 00 00 00. This is the
show all drives setting. The value to hide individual drives is figured with a Hex
formula for the value.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Again thanks

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back