Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No cd-rom in new installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepthought42

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
GB
Hi all,
i am asking this question because I cannot find the answer in the faq section.

Question: I have just upgraded from win 98 to win 2000 and my problem is that I have no cd-rom.

That is when I go into My Computer it is not listed, even when putting a cd in the drive it will spin but will not be read.

Before installing win2000 it worked ok which is pretty obvious since I had to use it to upgrade from win98.

I did a search for cd-rom and came up with 81 results none of which help.

So anyone any ideas

Thanks for any help offered
dene

Right click on My Computer and click on Hardware, click on the Device Manager Tab. Scroll down to where it says DVD/CD Rom Drives. If there is anything listed there delete any entries. Restart your machine and It should then set the drive backup correctly. If there are no CD Drives then close out of device manager. Right click on my computer again and click on hardware. This time click on hardware wizard and set a cd rom drive up. Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

And remember if it doesn't work just flush it down the toilet. [Flush]

Hi Greg,
thanks for your suggestion but I cannot get it to work for a number of reasons!!!

Firstly from the Add/remove h/w wizard what type of hardware do I select, since a cd rom is not listed.

Secondly if I select 'other devices' it gives me a choice of manufacturers.
However my cd-rom(x48) manufacturer is not listed ( some company called Delta) and I do not have any cd drivers for it.
I have tried to get them from Delta but they no longer support this device!

Therefore does anyone have any more suggestions please.

Regards Dene

If you give me the model number I will try and source some drivers for you. Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

And remember if it doesn't work just flush it down the toilet. [Flush]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back