Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no boot up just black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

onurwayblair

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
GB
hi there, i have a system which was working fine until i took the cpu out to test a friends mobo for him. when i put my cpu back in it worked fine, but after an hour i shut the computer down, then next day when i went to boot up again i found the power came on but no boot up, no memory test screen, no beep to indicate boot up, nothing.
i tried a different graphics card, a different monitor, different memory, it still did the same thing. so i went out and bought a second hand cpu to test the mobo again but still the same problem occurs.
i thougt it could be the mobo so i went on beay bought another mobo and set everything up on that, still the same problem. with the new mobo set up i have changed the monitor, no change, changed the graphics card, no change again. i am really stumped as to what the problem may be. can anybody offer any ideas on what i might try now, aside from buying a new system.my mobo that is currently in there is a jetway 266b, the cpu is the origional cpu which is an amd xp1600, any help appreciated.

is that just a guess or could a power supply really stop it botting up? i ask because all my fans come on and the lights come on, i can eject the dvd drive but just getting no screen or sound so could power supply cause that to happen?

unplug as much as possible (including the keyboard and mouse, cdrom, hard disk, network cards) and see if it still does it..

weird problem, don't know what else to suggest? Does the hard drive click away a few seconds after you turn it on?

Maybe try reseating your CPU and memory again (grounded wrist strap of course), and double-check the grounding screws on your mobo..

C

Got the same problem with a AMD 2400+. Tried three different mobo and still no boot up. Changed the processor to a brand new one and still nothing. Can the earlier cpu have caused a short circuit on the old and new mobo?

// R

Try clearing the CMOS by the jumper and then see it it will restart. Dont forget to unplug the computer when clearing.

Shannan

Hola, good suggestion shannanl...

to the original poster: yes, the PSU can act this way... the 3v rail could be defective, thus only the 5v and 12v rails function, which will give the peripherials (most work on 5v) power to do their jobs, but not get the mobo to function...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Most likely the power supply, it looks like a typical fault of the PSU. Good luck

Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back