Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no boot, no beeps, no nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just put together a computer.EPOX 8KTA2 motherboard, AMD Duron 750 mhz processor, cd-rom drive, cd-rw drive floppy drive, case with 300 watt power supply. It won't bootn't beep. Indicator lights work. Board and all drives power up except for the floppy. I've tried booting with the board out of the case. reseating memory, reseating video card. I know the hard drive works because it boots my Pavilion 6630 computer. The hard drive is a Samsung 1022. I've checked everything including jumpers about a million times it seems but to no avail. HELP if you can please. Thanks.

Try another mainboard. If another mainboard boots then your mainboard is bad. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

If the floppy doesn't work, then disconnect it just to ensure that isn't bringing the mobo down. Disconnect all front panel connectors except the power switch, in case one of them is faulty or misplaced. Check the processor is seated ok, and has no bent pins. Can you verify that the PSU and video card are ok? (Maybe try them in another machine).

If all else fails, do as BUTCHRECON suggests...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Hi,

Could be a cable the wrong way round. Shorting a supply line prevents the power supply from powering up.

I'd disconnect HDD, Floppy, CDROMs, Sound and any other cards except video card & 1 RAM module. Then try booting up.

Also make sure your processor is in, fan is connected & the correct CPU voltages selected.

If all this is done & still no beeps look at swapping the motherboard and/or CPU and/or video card.

regards

If all powers up ok but you get no beeps then look to the CPU. Remove and reseat make sure connections are clean. If you still have probs then I agree with the other guys that a motherboard is the next thing to swap out.
Cheers

Problem identification is going to be difficult without a debug card. But try the following:
1. Remove all PCI cards as well as AGP
2. Discount all drives; power and data
3. Remove memory
4. Switch on and listen for POST beeps from the system speaker. Long beeps means the board has detected no main memory. If no beeps - board is most likely bad.
5. Otherwise replace memory and try again and listen for beeps. 1 Medium and 3 short (I think) will mean no VGA.
6. If it beeps then insert VGA.

Generally, absence of POST beeps normally will point to a bad board, but could be CPU also.

Ideally borrow a CPU, or test yours on a friend's rig, or get a Epox debug card; which is not too expensive.

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

Just some basic things.
Does the PSU come up and its fan spin.
Most PSUs need a DC go signal, and correct load from the motherboard before they will come up.
If the system appears to start then stop within a second it may well not be seeing DC go.

As other people have said start from a minium system - eg MB , CPU and graphics first.
If you can measure the voltages see if you have 5v, 3v

Next check everything by substitution.

Good luck - Andy

the board is improperly grounded to the case. We've had this happen a dozen times befor. Get some fiber washers and mount them between the board and the standoff or use all plastic standoffs.

Thanks guys. I guess I shouldn't have bought a mainboard that wasn't in the box new. I bought 2 750 mhz duron processors. I don't think both can be bad. The video card and ram work on other boards. The psu boots a socket 7 mainboard from chaintech. I guess I will be getting another mainboard.

Your power supply may be bad too
happy.gif

Sorry guys. I tried it with no ram and got a one second beep, one second silent, one second beep, one second silent. I thought it didn't beep at all. Does that mean the board is saveable?

Looks like your CPU is bad...

Put ram back and try it without VGA. If you get "no VGA" beeps then I would say it's CPU.

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back