Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Boot File Name Recieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlayng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
US
I have a user that left his PC on last night. When he got into the office this morning he rebooted his PC. Upon rebooting he is getting a "No Boot File Name Received, Exiting Intel PXE ROM, Insert System Disk in Drive & press any Key" error and the PC won't boot at all. He is running up to date Microsoft Patches and Mcafee Virus scan. Any idea on the cause of this or a fix? He is running Win 2000. Thanks!!

It's type to boot to the network to a TFTP. If that's not what your trying to do (which seems to be the case), then you can change the boot order in the BIOS or even some BIOS' will let you remove the PXE or Network Boot option.

There is a possibility that the Hard Drive went AWOL also, but you must eliminate the network boot possibility in order to confirm if your hardrive is still ok.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

So what should the exact boot order be? Thanks!

Hard Drive
Cd Rom Drive
Floppy Drive
Anything else

Bcastner listed most of your options. The order is up to you really... I place my Floppy before the CD-ROM cause I use TFTP (Network Boot) alot.

There are also new types on different BIOS's, suce as ZIP, LS/100, SCSI and USB that you might see on the list.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back