Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No beeps, no sound, HELP PLEASE!!! A7N8X Deluxe, AIW 9700pro, AMD 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudyten

Programmer
Oct 22, 2002
US
I am new to this whole build your own computer thing...so bear with me if I use wrong terminology and so on. By back ground is COBOL Prog., never messed with hardware before.
====================
A7N8X Deluxe, AIW 9700 pro, AMD 2400+
Speaker is BA745 Boston w/subwoofer
====================================
OK...am having several problem...am tackling one at a time.
NO SOUND
I plug speakers to LINE-OUT and I get nothing thru my speakers - (i checked connection, power)
I plug headset to LINE-OUT and I do get sound thru my headset.

I've have check my BIOS...all seems in order

ALSO have problem with onboard sound- this whole area looses me
I get no initial beeps from motherboard.

is the onboard Realtek® ALC650 audio only used for beeps?

I will post detailed system info once i get home today

Thanks in advance for any help

Put in the CD that came with the motherboard. If it doesn't start automatically, browse to it ( Start > Run > Browse), and run setup.exe
The first screen will give you the Realtek sound setup, which installs the mixer as well as all the needed drivers.
If that's done, and sound is working, then it's time to check speaker wires, is it plugged in all the way, are the speakers the right impedance, etc... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I did that already....No "realtek sound setup", that was not an option. I did update NVIDIA nForce driver.
Also installed the ASUS update utility.

I have checked the wires....speakes work fine in old computer.

I plugged speaker wire to LINE-OUT and no sound,,,,,any other wires i need to check?
Should i disable the onboard sound?(not that it is working anyways too)

The BIOS beep is from the PC speaker and isn't related to the sound card, built in or not. If the CD that came w/the MOBO doesn't have the sound drivers on it, try cruising to the manufacturer's website and look fo the latest drivers.

Yes, you can disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and install another sound card.

You stated that you DON'T get sound with the Speakers in the LINE OUT, but you DO get sound in the LINE OUT with Head phones? This is very strange. If you do get sound in the head phones, then the drivers are set up correctly!
Check the power to the speakers again. You state it works in an older computer? This is strange. On older speaker sets, I had an adjustable AC adapter (where you had to adjust not only the voltage, but also the negative polarity). If this is the case, are you using the same one between computers? Also, make sure the Negative setting is correct.
Also, I note you have a subwoofer? In my speaker system, my speakers actually plug into my Subwoofer, and then Subwoofer into the Computer. I would suggest to check this out! Maybe a bad Subwoofer
If the power is correct, then maybe there is a connection problem with the Line-out and the speakers. Try to compare the Headphone jack with the speaker jack. Look for anything different (as in different plug lengths, etc..)
It is strange that sound works in the same outlet to the headphones, but not the speakers. As long as sound is exiting the jack, then internally the computer HAS to be ok!!
Hope this helps

Will recheck every thing again....will post again tomorrow with outcome.

I know i have 2 issues...one being no speaker sound....second no BEEPS(onboard sound)

Thanks all

OK...i check it again....Driver are downloaded
tested speaker on another computer...works fine

KEY>>>>>I HAVE SOUND ON HEADPHONES, BUT WHEN I SWITCH TO SPEAKER.....NADA...NOTHING....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back