Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No auto dtect of drives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyposmurf

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
GB
I remember turning off something related to (auto scan or auto detect my drives, not sure what its called), but now my drives just say the drive is not formatted do you want to format it now?I cant seem to get to the bottom of this I have been scratching my head for about 2 months.The only way I can read my CD drives or removable drives is to boot my PC up again.Everytime the PC bootrs the CD's are found,change the CD and it wont read it,also the sound of my drives starting up when reading them just doesnt happen anymore.Id really like to get this problem sorted.
Many Thanks in advance

From the Start menu, select Run... . In the "Open:" field, type regedit , then press the Enter key. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

In the right panel, double-click Autorun. To enable, change the number in the "Value data:" field to 1 (one).

Thanks bcastner for the reply but I have just looked at that registry value and it is set as 1.I also have a entry in the CDROM folder(that you specified) that is called AutoRunAlwaysDisable.Maybe this is the problem do I need to delete it?Not a good idea I dont know.I thought of reinstalling windows 20 but have a problem reinstalling it as my service pack 4 wont uninstall.Amnyway the ideal result would be just to sort my CD autoplay without reinstalling windows.

Thanks in advance

Rather than delete the value, if it is a DWORD value set it to 0 (zero).

When I click on it, all it gave me was a list of numbers for the devices that were not autorunning.I have deleted it and found there is still no difference after restarting.I have also previously reinstalled all my drive drivers and still no difference.Starting to bang my head against a wall.Thanks for your time bcastner.

Just tried that and it said:
The wizard ran into problems whiole trying to fix this setting.See the repair log for more details
In the log file the following was present:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2005-03-26 17:02:06]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.0 (Service Pack 4) <2195>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: Check Skipped
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: Problems
>> Repair << [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]
Step: Starting the Shell Hardware Detection service.
Result: The wizard ran into problems while trying to start the Shell Hardware Detection service.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

Start, Run, services.msc

Find the Shell Hardware Detection service and start it. Its startup setting should be Automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back