Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No audio with Web-Cams 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

capt74

Programmer
Dec 11, 2004
US
I have a Web Cam (by VEO) that works, but I can not get any audio. A neighbor also has a differant model and has the same problem. I also went out and purchased a new Web-Cam by "Creative" and the same thing happens-no audio when using MSN Messanger and the Web-Cam. I have tested my microphone and it works to record but not if I have the Web Cam turned on.

My neighbor and I are both using RoadRunner with a cable modem, Windows XP (Home), with Service pack 2) and we are both using MSN messenger 6.2.

In Control Panel, "Sounds and Audio Devices" shows that I have the option of choosing "USB IMAGING DEVICE" or "Realtek AC97 Audio" as my microphone. Both allow us to record but we still do not get sound when the Web-Cam is on when using MSN messanger.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
_Mike

capt74, the problem you are experiencing is very common. I am very familiar with this particular frustration. In my early attempts to netcam with family and friends I was using a Linksys BEFSR41 4port router with Motorola Surfboard cablemodem. The problem was always Video;no audio or Audio;no video. The problem actually exists in the router. A router at the very least acts as a hardware firewall (NAT). Routers and their configuration utilities are pretty daunting things to setup without some guidance. I personally spent hours searching the net to find the appropriate port settings for this Linksys router to enable video and voice with MSN Messenger. I will tell you this. I tried every port configuration that I could think of, even the ones Linksys support recommended all tt no avail. I did not and would not, however, take the advise to place the IP address of this machine outside the DMZ. I feel too vulnerable out there! Anyway, the way I resolved this was thinking along this line. 1. I want to use MSN Messenger. 2. I run some flavor of Microsoft operating system on all of my networked PC's. 3. I personally am not a Microsoft hater and have no bad taste in my mouth over their products/business practices, whatever. So what I did was google around to see if Microsoft had a hardware solution and came upon the amazing (to me) realization that Microsoft sells a WAP/4port fastethernet switched ROUTER! So here is what I did. 1. I sold the Linksys with it's complex configuration utility. 2. I bought a M$oft MN-700 router and 1 each of the three available wireless adapters. 1 internal PCI wireless adapter, 1 pcmcia adapter for my wife's older laptop and 1 external USB. 3. Implemented the new hardware. To make a long story short I am now able to netcam with video and voice with no problems, where before it was just torture. My line of thinking proved out....Microsoft obviously did some R&D to allow their products to seemlessly configure ports when using their own products. It's all good now. Hope this long-winded recount has not put you to sleep.

If I understand you, the NETGEAR router I am using may be at fault. I wonder if NETGEAR can give me tech support that will fix this. I 'd hate to tell our familly members to all sell their routers.

What would happen if I removed the router from the configuration prior to using the Web-Cam?
_Mike

If you removed the router then you would probably have boht video and sound, but you had better make sure you have at least a software firewall running, along with up to date antivirus.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

YIPEE...We have audio & sound. My neighbor, who is less computer literate than I am, read all of the steps in MSN Messanger that relates to sound and here is how we both fixed our problem:
Go to Control Panel, Network Connections and right click on Local Area Connection. Choose properties, and on the General Tab, un-check "QoS Packet Scheduler".

I have no idea why this would work. Can someone enlighten us?

_Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back