Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Audio For Embedded Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlookman

Technical User
Aug 5, 2005
US
I recently lost sound when trying to play embedded media player files. All other audio works.

I have traced the problem to an improper codec pack install. The uninstall did not restore things back to the original state.

Does anyone know how to reset all of the audio/video codecs in XP? I have also tried reinstalling Media Player as well as upgrading it to Media Player 11 Beta 2.

This thread may offer you a few clues about the standard codec pack downloadable from Microsoft and some others if that one fails to work.

Problem Installing Software?
thread779-1158960

This one also covers that ground but talks about DirectX too.

Reset ALL codecs ...how ?
thread779-1151022

Accidentally deleted original WinXPpro audio codecs
thread779-852144

You can see if these tools are of any use?

Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility

Sherlock-codec-detective

Thanks for your help linney, but nothing worked :(

You could see if System Restore is able to fix things.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed

I am familiar with most of those steps, but that is not the solution I am looking for. System Restore is disabled on this machine and SFC came up blank.

It is just a codec issue somewhere.

Thanks for the help Linney. I still cannot seem to crack this one. I will keep digging.

An example is any of the video off of CNN.com. Basically anything that plays in the media player rather than the flash or real windows.

What Browser are you using? IE 7 can be launched under Accessories/ System Tools, with "No Add-ons".

Make sure your options in IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Advanced are correct.

Uncheck the boxes for "Install on Demand" for IE and Other programs (two boxes).

Try running temporarily with the third box "Enable Third Party Browser Extensions" unchecked and see how this goes.

"This specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve, you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off.

Disabled all add ons except media player. Disabled third party extensions as well. Still no luck.

They type of file is a .waff.

Install the latest version of XP Codec pack and do a full install of all of the audio and vido codecs. You do not need the Media player. Then you will be in the same boat as me.

Still have not found much on the topic.

Anything showing up in the Event Viewer?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

I am out of ideas at the moment (apart from suggesting a format and clean install which you do not want to hear), let us know how you eventually fix the problem.

Linney,

Thanks for all of your help. I have done all of that and more.

I will keep on looking. A regular install of the codec pack does not break anything so it is something in the full install.

I had the same problem with CNN and Yahoo for WMP embedded video. I uninstalled the XP codec pack that I was using and installed the K-Lite codec package and my audio for streaming video returned.

I will try this out tomorrow. Cole2k worked on one of the machines, but I could not reproduce the results on the other machines.

Artspret,

Thanks for the help. K-Lite solved my problem. It looks like there were some codecs that were not registred properly.

I thought Cole2k would have caught it, but it didn't. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back