Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No ASP in PWS Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepingbusy

Programmer
Apr 9, 2000
GB
Hi All
Please can anyone suggest why the following is not working?
I have PWS for Windows 98 installed and when I publish a web to it everything works except the ASP pages. I have installed the correct components but to no avail. Any suggestions or alternatives (My web hosting company supports ASP pages but I would much prefer to test my site before uploading it)

Many thanks in anticipation
KB When everything else is said and done, there will be nothing else to say or do

What error messages are you getting? mot98
[cheers]

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."
- Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887-1956)

What ODBC connection are you using? Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Hi mot98
I don't have any error messages, nothing is displayed when I try to view the published site (see below)

Hi hewissa
The ODBC connection is 32bit and I'm running Windows 98 with Frontpage 2000 and using an Access 2000 database

The problem is after I publish the site and click on "Click here to view your published website" the Windows Explorer opens and not the browser.
Also when I try and view an ASP page as simple as this:
<html>
<body>
<p>
<b>Test ASP Page</b>
</p>
Today's date is <%=Date()%>
</body>
</html>
I don't get anything other than a blank screen

Hope this helps (Now getting a bit frustrated!!)
Thanks for your time
KB When everything else is said and done, there will be nothing else to say or do

You need to make a database connection using ODBC and assigning it to PWS.

Click Start>Run>ODBC The ODBC manager opens. Or within Frontpage you should have the option to define/connect a database.

Select the SYSTEM DSN tab. Don't bother with the USER DSN is it can only be used by connections on this machine. In your situation you will post to an ISP so use the SYSTEM DSN.

Click Add to open the Create New Data Source. Your using Access so click Access>Finish

The ODBC MS Access Setup Window opens. Use this to point to your database. In the Source name put in the name of your databse - exactly. Add a description if you choose. Leave System Database set to none. Under Database click select.

The directory browse sceen open and you map your way to your website database - C:\ (however and wherever it is located....). Click Ok.

For a Connection Name the same name as the source in the previous step. For Data source (DSN) selct your DSN you just created.

For PWS click the Using Local DSN radio button

Now you've made your databse connection. If Frontpage associate to it.

Try that.
Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

keepingbusy wrote: 'The problem is after I publish the site and click on &quot;Click here to view your published website&quot; the Windows Explorer opens and not the browser.'

Sounds like the &quot;browser executable&quot; is set to explorer.exe (Windows Explorer) instead of iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer). I don't use FrontPage, so I couldn't tell you how to fix that.

LegoArtist
NITSO (No Initials To Speak Of)

Hi hewissa
thank you for the reply, I'll try that and post back soon

Also thanks to legoartist for the contribution

I checked in the FrontPage program and found this....

Set up the connection

Start the Database Results Wizard (on the Insert menu, point to Database, and then click Results).
Click Use a new database connection, and then click Create.
Click Add, and then type a name for the new database connection in the Name box.
Under Type of connection, choose one of the following types of connections:

File or folder
System DSN
Database server on a network
Database using a custom connection

Follow my instrunction in the previous post from here....or inn front page> Help box> type database for more info. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Hi hewissa

Tried your suggestion but still cant view the published pages on PWS. I've tried publishing the pages to the web, and these work fine. I think I'll have to grin and bear it for the time being, but I am grateful to you for the time and effort you have given so far
Take care and thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back