Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no asa/dxd card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvdtexas

Technical User
May 6, 2004
US
Hi! I've been tasked from my boss to change the default message on our Partner ACS v3 system and I'm having no luck. We have a voicemail card and a remote card. The problem is that the person who set this up initially is gone from our company and we can't find him.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. I've messed with and messed with the I891 feature until I'm blue in the face. It gets to step 5 after I dial 891 and it says "No ASA/DXD card".

2. I've powered down the sytem multiple times.

3. I've switched out the two cards above.

4. I've looked through the whole manual multiple times and I think I'm doing this correctly. We just want to change the initial message and add an extension to the system.

What am I doing wrong? I just can't figure it out! If we have no asa/dxd card (which my boss swears that we do), how did the prior guy get the message on the system? :)

Thanks in advance!

First step is to determine whether you have a Partner Voice Messaging PC Card OR a Partner ASA/DXD Card.
All the ASA/DXD Card will do is either pick up two ringing lines and place them on hold or answer calls and tell callers if they know the ext. of the person they want to reach to dial it now.

Try Intercom 777 then when asked for PW try 0# 1234# then go to automated attendant greeting and try that. You may not have an ASA/DXD Card but a voicemail card.

Hi bvdtexas,
You most likely have a vm card. As fonewiz suggested, go into the voicemail (I777), mailbox "0", option 3 to change the greeting. Listen to the voice prompts and don't hang up too soon (to save your work).
Your boss may have had an old Partner II system that has been upgraded to the ACS.
-Chris

Hi thank you very much for answering. Yes you are completely right, I have a Voice Card. One problem though. I don't know the password and neither does anyone here. I called Avaya tech support to see how to reset it, and they told me it would be $120 to tell me how to reset it!!

Does anyone here know how to do this?

Thanks!

I also have the VMS card but would like to use the ASA as a supliment since the VMS card does not have the option (that I know) to automatically place caller on hold. The only problem I have is that when I turn on the ASA there is no prompt of any kind and the caller is placed on hold.

While I am here I also would like to ask: Is there a way to have the VMS record an incoming call with out transferring to an extension?

atin90: You're not the original poster, so I'll assume that you have an ASA/DXD card in addition to a Voice Mail? To get a prompt on the ASA, go to Ext. 10 or 11, dial Intercom 891, and press 1 to record. Wait for the beep, and press # at the end. Press 2 to listen to the message. You also have the option to have the call continue to ring, even though the call has been "answered" by the ASA recording, and is technically holding. Keeping it ringing lets others in the office know that a call is still coming in, whereas having it go on hold just beeps at Ext. 10 every minute.

You can have a mailbox "own" a line or lines, through Call Cover (#208) or Line Ownership (#206 and programming in the voice mail, depending on which one you have). This makes the lines be answered by a mailbox directly, instead of the auto attendant and having to transfer to an extension to leave a message.

No, I do not have the ASA/DXD card but my understanding was that the generic attendand voice will come up with greeting. Right now, when I turn on the ASA, callers are placed on hold with out any anoucement. I am aware that with out the ASA/DXD card I can not record my own greeting and/or do any of the 'spacial' things that the card does. Both card slots are already taken, one by the VMS card and the other by the the Remote acces card.
I just seem to think that when I got the R6 card, there was an generic voice message on ASA but I no longer get it. But I may be wrong.

No, no generic ASA built into the ACS without the card installed. I'm surprised that the lines are answered and placed on hold without you having the card.

I've had customers that needed both ASA/DXD and Voice Messaging, so if any program changes are made, we need to power down, swap the backup card for the ASA card, power up and do a manual backup, then power down/up again to swap back to the ASA card. And of course, the automatic backup feature has to be turned off.

Anyway, just pick out an extension to be the owner of the lines, be sure it has a mailbox, Auto VMS Cover, and the lines actually ring on the set. Then in #208-NN-XX, where NN is the line number, and XX is the extension number. Control the number of rings before answering with #321, call cover rings, and put the extension in DND for immediate answer.

So I guess nobody knows how to reset the password on extension 0 on the VMS?

Hi bvdtexas,
Do a search above. Posting passwords on an open forum is generally not a good idea.
If your password has been changed from the default, try the last four digits of your phone number at work. Any other similar four digit number should be tried. Don't forget to look in the manual or folder (Phone system stuff) for the number to be written down.
If you still have no joy, maybe one of the members local to you will unlock it for you. I am in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. It sounds like you are in Texas. Very long distance.
-Chris

Thank you Chris, I figured it had something to do with that. I'll just call the company who installed the system I guess. :)

Yes Canada is a very long way away!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back