Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Advanced Filter/Sort functionality in ADP? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

charax

Programmer
Sep 20, 2003
US
I'm using
Access 2002 (Office XP Developer) with SP2
Windows XP Pro
SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP Pro local desktop

I am new to Access ADP Projects, but a long-time Access developer since version 1.0. (I still run Access 2.0 on Win XP to maintain some old customers' apps.)

Using Access 2002, I have converted a simple Access 2000 MDB database to an Access Project using the upsizing wizard, fixed the VBA code to use ADO.

Everything seems to work properly (so far!) except that none of the upsized forms allow use of the Advanced Filter/Sort button. However, when I click on the Advanced Filter/Sort button I get this error:

--------------------------------
AncientCoins can't find the object 'dbo.Coins.'

*You misspelled the object name. Check for missing underscores(_) or other punctuation, and make sure you didn't enter leading spaces.
*You tried to open a linked table, but the file containing the table isn't on the path you specified. Use the Linked Table Manager to update the link and point to the correct path.
--------------------------------

In the ADP version of the database, I cannot find the menubar item "Records|Filter|Advanced Filter/Sort", though the button for this action *is* on the buttonbar.

All forms are based on MSSQL tables. Form navigation works fine, underlying tables are updatable, AllowFilters property is set True. I have substituted SQL views for tables as the form's RecordSource, but the same problem persists.

I found MSKB articles
269824 at and
264097 at which apparently don't offer any solutions.

Can anyone help? I'd like to have the same "build filters on the fly" functionality in the ADP that I had in the MDB version of the database.

Thanks for any help,

Charax

Are you using Filter or ServerFilter? If you open a Form with the DoCmd.OpenForm the filter goes to the MServerFilter property.

Hi,

In ADP projects you can not use Advanced Filter/Sort but You can replace its functionality with ServerFilter. The only problem with ServerFilter is that it handle date fields only after first open, next time You will see error message that Access can not construct filter. This error is in Access 2000 and 2002 but maybe not in 2003 ;)

So if you would like to have the same "build filters on the fly" functionality in the ADP that you had in the MDB version of the database You have to write own module that handles it by using ServerFilter property on form. It's work very well.

K.

I appreciate the pointers to ServerFilter and will now research how to do this. Are there any simple examples of an ADP form "on the fly filter" available?

In the original MDB, I have 30 or more queries that I can choose to apply as filters, but they often need to be changed on the fly depending on the needs of research, and the new filters need to be saved for future use.

Thanks again for the help,

Charax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back